Elin

Calories on vegan diet

7 posts in this topic

So... How many calories do we REALLY need? A lot of the recommendations are based on a high processed non-vegan diet, but what if we are on a healthy high carb low fat vegan diet? I mean calories is basically just a measurement for energy, if I understand it correctly. So since the energy from a healthy vegan diet is easier to absorb, we wont need as many calories then right? I guess the best way is to eat the amount that feels good to us individually, since everyone is different and needs a different amount. Still, I wonder if theres any basic guidelines on calories on a healthy vegan diet. Any information on this much appreciated! <3 

If you feel weak then you're not getting enough!

I think when it comes to food you just really need to listen to your body.

I personally can't follow standard breakfast- lunch- dinner - snacks in between  routine.

I know i am hungry when i feel weakness in my body, not when i hear my tummy noises :)

My main focus has always been on quality of my food, not quantity. When health is your priority, you don't have to worry about calories. 

• Upvote 3

Honestly you will not find a better tool than your intuition, your dialog with your body and getting to know it.

If you cannot do that just take it one step at a time by experimenting and seeing what makes you feel better. Also exercise helps with getting to know your body.

I must have tried every diet under the sun in the past as I had an eating disorder for around two years in my teens. I still get obsessive about food, though now my intuition is working most of the time.

• Upvote 2

Oh beautiful advice both of you, Thanks! I'm already getting into the flow of following my own intuition, its definitely a great tool and works wonderfully! :D No need to calculate the calories haha

A good litmus test is atrophy. Are you loosing more than gaining, or remaining stable?

Eat many and varied things as natural as possible, just keep it mixed up, it seems to be the best way I have found to cover all bases.

On a 'limited' diet it is so easy to feel you have no options, and stick to that 'comfort' stuff. Eating is psychological, I don't care so much about calories as I do about nutrients.  

• Upvote 1

The whole concept of the calorie is bogus. They burn whatever the food item is and measure it's output in terms of heat energy. This is ridiculous, as if our bodies are a simple steam engine.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Akurabis said:

The whole concept of the calorie is bogus. They burn whatever the food item is and measure it's output in terms of heat energy. This is ridiculous, as if our bodies are a simple steam engine.

YES!!! When people are in love they often forget to sleep and eat, yet they still generate a lot of energy somehow  :D

• Upvote 3