Scot

Mindfulness

3 posts in this topic

Mindfulness

I just checked the Wikipedia article on Mindfulness.  The opening description says:

"Mindfulness is the psychological process of bringing one's attention to the internal experiences occurring in the present moment."

I would like to say that that is only part of mindfulness.  I have started to think that mindfulness is a continuum from being fully present, fully engaged in the present moment (the state of being "in the zone" also known as "in the state of flow") through to having attention to the internal experiences occurring in the present moment. 

When upsetting things happen we need to become self-aware and process the feelings objectively with equanimity.  When happy things happen or even normal daily occurrences happen we can be fully present and enjoying the moment.  I believe that should be the full range of mindfulness.

what do you think?

• Upvote 2

On 6/27/2017 at 8:11 AM, Scot said:

When upsetting things happen we need to become self-aware and process the feelings objectively with equanimity.  When happy things happen or even normal daily occurrences happen we can be fully present and enjoying the moment.  I believe that should be the full range of mindfulness.

I agree! I've always found it strange that a lot of self-help material is focused on sad emotions as a primary way to healing. But how many of people have already noticed that all they end up doing is shadow work . ... i think it has to do with the fact that we are not fully present when we are happy. It takes a deliberate focus to recognize that.

There has to be things that trigger happiness !?

• Upvote 1