Katiee

Meditation problems

7 posts in this topic

Meditation problems

Hello everyone,

. So, I have been doing 20 minute watching the breath meditations daily and sometimes I reach quite a beautiful state of transcendence. The trouble is, I have now set an expectation to reach this state of transcendence, and when I don't I feel crappy. It is almost like meditation has become a chore in order to achieve this specific state. I sometimes repeat the meditation 4 times if I have to! I used to meditate fine without having to worry about the state I reach UNTIL I started really feeling this transcendence recently. I feel like these expectations are bringing me and my spirituality practice down and it gets stressful....any tips?

• Upvote 1

It seems like you already know the answer ;) The trick is to let go of your expectations of reaching a certain feeling when you meditate. If you change your goal from "feeling a certain way = successful meditation" to "doing my best to be in the present moment" then it doesn't matter how you feel when you meditate because you will not have failed. It's a shift of focus. It's pretty much impossible to not have any expectations at all, but the idea is to free yourself from the attachment of expectations and to be more allowing of your experiences even when they don't fit your expectations. I'm sure Teal would tell you that not all meditations are created equal. Some days feel exceptionally transcendental, other days it seems like all the magic has vanished and you're just sitting quietly with your eyes closed. It doesn't mean that anything went wrong, some days are just like that! And chances are that if you are focusing on what you WANT to feel instead of how you ARE feeling then you probably are not being present. Maybe you are avoiding how you feel in the present for some reason? It could be good to explore that.

Also it might be helpful to change up the types of meditation your are doing. Instead of a breathing meditation every day, maybe try a new one once a week and see how you like it. If you do, then you can keep it, if you don't you can find another one that you like better. There are all sorts of meditations out there!

First I would like to say that I believe the point of meditation is to get more balance and wellness but I would like to have a feeling of trancedence once in  while.  I would say that I really only reached a state of transcendence a few times.  And it seems to me that it happened on two occasions when I was really deeply relaxed and what I will call brain fog had set in.    I was doing my yoga and was REALLY getting into it.   It is hard to describe but it was like I shut off my conscious mind and felt kind of sleepy, or lethargic or maybe to word is torpor. 

When the brain fog cleared, I felt at one with everything.  Alive, awake, maybe trancendence.

Is that other people's experience?   Do you have to get low in order to get high?

Over the past couple of days my personal goals for meditation have been changing.
A few days ago my goal seemed to be to uncover crap in my subconscious mind to clean up the mess.  I do believe in "shadow work" and I do believe it is good stuff.

You wrote that you could achieve a "transcendental" state.  I think I got a bit jealous because I'm not hitting transcendental states. 

But today I figured out that a good goal is to be immersed in the present moment.  Happiness occurs when you find the joy in the present moment.

So that is my new simple goal:

Finding the joy of each moment.  Not worrying about transcendental experiences and if stuff comes up out of the shadows (like jealousy) I'll deal with it at the time.

If you want to find transcendence (transcending physical reality that is) I would advice you to begin experimenting with astral projection.

Spirituality doesn't have to be about transcendence. I think spirituality is more about learning about yourself, transcendence is often a result of that. I find it more freeing and relaxing to not expect anything from meditation. Sometimes I get relaxed, sometimes different emotions bubble up. 

I had the a similar experience as you earlier today when I tried to meditate. I got annoyed that my brain was so jumpy. So I let my mind go crazy for a little bit and noticed that I feel very stressed. I didn't come out of the meditation feeling peaceful and calm, but I did learn more about myself in the moment, and I think that's ok:)

Looks like you already know what's causing this; expectation.  Where did the expection begin?  Why do you feel you need to be in this higher state of feeling to have a good time?  Is it an issue of morality, between whether you or it is good or bad?

We must recognize that there is no one way; that goes for all experiences and concepts in existence.  All ways exist and all ways are true.  

Also, everything exists as part of your growth.

So if you can tune into these two concepts I just explained, then you can begin to see that even when you're in this state of expectation and frustration, it's ultimately leading you to something more.  Also, There is no right way to meditate, it's all subjective.  Just try going into meditation with the vibrational state of total allowing, for everything you feel, it will transcend If you go into it with open arms, and shift right before your eyes.  

When you begin to meditate, and you feel the decreased feeling of happiness due to the expectation of wanting it to be like the great time you had before, continue to meditate and fully embrace this state, this is where you are, and it's great in the fact that you are alive to even experience this expectation.  Receive it with open arms, allow it to be, and it will transform.  When you allow energy to do it's thing, it will flow and pass through you, it's impermanent.

Once we hold strong perception onto a concept, or feeling, whether in the body or mind, it becomes static because our focus maintains that vibration to hold that state until we change the thought.  This keeps it to stay what you see it as instead of it changing, which it  would've done if you didn't restrict it to this perceptive box.  You expect to have an expectation now every time.  And ironically now that you expect to expect, you will always expect that expectation of expecting! haha! Once we allow it, we let it do what it wants, it will change and flow, up, down, around, become whatever it is.  Just allow it to be, it will shift I promise!