Scot

Generations

5 posts in this topic

Generations

I would like to know your thoughts. 

I recently listen to a podcast called Live Awake by Sarah Blondin.  The particular episode was "I want to give you permission."  It was about giving you permission to be your authentic true self..   That is the You that you are when you are by yourself and doing your own thing, and you are happy about it.  (Personally I was depressed for quite some time and I was a bit of a mess when I was by myself.  But I have turned things around and I found my authentic true self can be happy on my own.)

The podcast says that none of us are our authentic true selves 100% of the time.  And I have to agree.  Despite the spiritual journey I have been on lately, I want to be completely open and completely free to be the whole me but there are still things that I am reluctant to share.  I think we all have a public persona and a private self.  Our public persona, to get by in the working world (the rat race) needs to be strong, hard working, confident, maybe never showing a softer side (that's just a maybe.  I am thinking about older generations as well)

Now my question is, is this a generational thing?  I expect my parents would not have even discussed such matters.  My father's boss at work would never have shown a softer side or even admit that such a thing exists.  As my generation (generation X) gets older maybe we are waking up and finding desire to be more true to our inner selves.  But maybe millennials are more comfortable to be their authentic selves.

It is not fair to say that my entire generation hates millennials.  Personally I don't hate millennials.  However there are some people of the older generations who find millennials to be privileged and entitled.   I am now wondering if the older generations are actually jealous of the ability of millennials to be their authentic selves.

what do you think?

Edited by Scot
  • Upvote 1

I think it boils down to would you do what you think is authentic to you when you're not alone and still be happy? or would you do it differently ?

Hi Garnet

i was hoping to discuss whether different generations are better at being their authentic true selves.  Sorry about the complication I had trying to explain "authentic true self".   So let's say that your "authentic true self" is the you that you wish you could be but for whatever reason you stop yourself back from being.

and now I'll ask: do you think the different generations are better at being authentic?

Hi. Millennial here, I find that for me, being not authentic is a violence to me. It hurts me not to be my true self. I could be more 'normal' but it would make me depressed. I don't do anything to hurt anyone so I don't see why not allow my true self show.

I work in an office now, so that means that I'm the weirdo of the company. I lay down in the ground outside on my lunch break to get a little sun,I talk to the plants, I talk to myself. Some people look at me like I'm fucking demented hahahha

I don't know any baby boomer that is emotionally healthy. I know a couple of gen x and a few millenials that are healthier and deeper emotionally.

I have a teory that my generation has a lot more crystal and indigo souls, so we are more sensitive, so repressing things hurts us more.

• Upvote 2

On 6/17/2017 at 0:20 PM, Scot said:

Hi Garnet

i was hoping to discuss whether different generations are better at being their authentic true selves.  Sorry about the complication I had trying to explain "authentic true self".   So let's say that your "authentic true self" is the you that you wish you could be but for whatever reason you stop yourself back from being.

and now I'll ask: do you think the different generations are better at being authentic?

I think a lot of it depends on how the generations are being brought up. Also it's possible that if you stopped doing something then it's because it is no longer feels authentic to you not because that was your true authentic self. We all evolve overtime.