Tony P

Dissociation

3 posts in this topic

Dissociation

Whenever I try to be present and mindful I become dissociated! I want to get back into meditating but it's hard when focusing on the present makes me feel like I'm floating up out of my body.

I know my dissociation is protecting me from overpowering emotions that I have not been able to deal with. I am in extreme and severe mental and emotional pain and the best remedy so far has been distraction. I've tried the completion process and it doesn't really help. And please don't ask me to just "sit" with my emotions to try to see where they are coming from. If you knew what it was like you would understand that it is impossibly crushing and not helpful in the least.

Does anybody have any advice or explanation that might help me to stop dissociating?

Thanks!

Write out what is bothering you in a note to yourself.  Or address it to a trusted friend.  Or "write" to Teal without sending it.  Or if you want to put it out into the world, write it here into this forum.

• Upvote 1

how does the dissociation make u feel? ask yourself what would be so bad about it, maybe it will come down to a core root of not actually being with the self, then why would that be so bad? because u have been through tremendous pain in the past where you were hurt by others, so its completely valid and acceptable u had to condition yourself to dissociate in order to survive, but u can imagine/visualise ur inner child and talking to it, saying u are here now, and its ok that it had to dissacociate to survive, but u are here now to fully connect with it and ur own emotions. also remember if wanting to sit with emotions to get rid of them wont work, it will be a battle of wills. u need to convince yourself and know that those emotions will come up for all lifetimes, so in essence, ur being present because it feels good to be simply present. also watch ur thoughts, teal has a video on how to stop thinking, usually theres a thought which wants to take u away, but u can use a creative practice to see it as separate (which it really is).