Douglas Power

When Is Suicide Okay?

14 posts in this topic

When Is Suicide Okay?

Hi all. When do you think suicide is permissable? Is it ever? Yes, it can leave loved ones grieving, but what if a soul was truly up against a no win situation, such as an accident or coma or jail/prison or horrific violence or suffering? If the point of life is to love, and learn, and find happiness, there are truly many instances where it is just not possible within given circumstances for any kind of evolution to happen for that particular soul. Do we agree? I feel like some souls, to save themselves and potentially others from harm or even more sadness and chaos, have a right to set themselves free. Wipe the plate clean. Start again, but take those lessons learned into the new dimension and experience awaiting them. If we are truly immortal spirits, we all deserve a chance at happiness and redemption. Food for thought.......

I read your post this first thing this morning and I have been thinking about it.   And I have been wondering whether you are depressed. But now I read your post again and it reads like a hypothetical question.  

So here is a hypothetical answer:  A person should not fix a temporary problem with this permanent solution.

So then the question becomes "what kind of permanent problem warrants suicide?"  I don't know.  Terminal illness? 

To my mind, there are three big things that bring purpose and meaning to life (1) self-actualization, as in the Maslow hierarchy.  But for Maslow there seems to be one purpose to life. I say there are two more. (2) Connection.  Inter-personal connection. (3) Connection to Source or God or all-that-is.  Call it what you want.

But I don't know what could stop a person from achieving those things and thus bring continued meaning and purpose.

I really like Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev but there is some controversy about his wife's death.  Yogis like Sadhguru believe it is possible for their spirit to intentionally leave their body, thus merging with Source permanently.  He says that his wife shed her body in front of a large audience.  It is also said that she was planning to do this for several months.   Was that suicide?  If "suicide" means intentionally ending your own life then yes, that was suicide.

Edited by Scot
  • Upvote 1

It's always OK - anyone can choose to die as and when they please, that's free will and personal freedom. The real question is how wise it is in any given situation. The majority of people who opt for suicide do regret it, but that's nothing to do with whether it's "OK" or not. It's just like any extreme decision, you decide what you prefer and then you either like the outcome or you regret the consequences, or both. Needless to say, everyone has a different decision-making process so there is no standard. It tends to involve feelings of complete hopelessness and feeling trapped - and if someone feels that way then that's the reality for them, even if their life looks like a free one by all other logical metrics.

• Upvote 3

On 6/12/2017 at 9:15 PM, Douglas Power said:

When Is Suicide Okay?

Hi all. When do you think suicide is permissable? Is it ever? Yes, it can leave loved ones grieving, but what if a soul was truly up against a no win situation, such as an accident or coma or jail/prison or horrific violence or suffering? If the point of life is to love, and learn, and find happiness, there are truly many instances where it is just not possible within given circumstances for any kind of evolution to happen for that particular soul. Do we agree? I feel like some souls, to save themselves and potentially others from harm or even more sadness and chaos, have a right to set themselves free. Wipe the plate clean. Start again, but take those lessons learned into the new dimension and experience awaiting them. If we are truly immortal spirits, we all deserve a chance at happiness and redemption. Food for thought.......

Jail and prison aren't unavoidable, inescapable situations but rather time-limited situations that surely take us out of our element bit also possibly change us for the better. Just because something looks unpleasant doesn't mean that it won't ultimately bring about clarity and enlightenment. Inmates often spend decades incarcerated only to discover their abilities and aptitudes whilst inside....self-discoveries that enable them to become amazing productive citizens once released. How could we ever possibly know beforehand that a situation will truly be horrific or an amazing opportunity for growth and change? If we were to run for the gun every single time we felt hopeless we wouldn't live very long. And NO, our lives purpose isn't only to find and feel live and happiness. Perhaps when we are 5 years old that so true but that doesn't sound reasonable or enjoyable at all bc happiness and love would lose their truth meaning if everything was always light and loving. 

I just watched a movie "Me before you" a few days ago.

The movie is very beautiful and tragic at the same time. A girl was taking care of a paralysed man as her job, they fell in love but he chose death over giving this relationship a chance . 

It may seem like a very selfish choice but you have to watch the movie to understand it.

Honestly ,  while the movie itself was emotionally very deep I wish they would have shown more of a true reality of someone in a wheelchair 24/7.

I 've had a similar experience once and I can honestly say that was the most difficult job I've ever had both physically and emotionally.  I was taking care of a 21 year girl who had a mind of a 3 year old. She could barely see, didn't speak, but was able to crawl a little bit.  She could also respond to two languages (engl./spanish) and this was very helpful because i needed her to cooperate with me when i was getting her in and out of a chair. But it was still very-very difficult and i ended up hurting my back while giving her a bath.

She was born this way so she didn't know any difference.

In reality it takes at least 3-4 people to take care of a completely paralysed man. And they need to be alternated too because the majority of this care is literally cleaning and preparing the area around. It is far from a movie and it takes a lot of time . Not to mention how psychologically difficult it is for those who do know the life before.

When a person like this looses his hope and doesn't see himself living as is ....there is not much you can do. All he can think about is freeing himself and everyone around him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

When a person like this looses his hope and doesn't see himself living as is ....there is not much you can do. All he can think about is freeing himself and everyone around him.

Hi all,

I watched also dramatic Spanish story which is based on true facts movie calls The Sea Inside(2004)  there a  men gets paralyzed after bad jump in to the sea and later his falling in love in his lawyer, is herself suffering from a degenerative disease, later things go worse for her  and his fighting to get euthanasia. The movie is so heavy and deep in feelings I don't want even to recommend.

But after that I started to revalue relationships and people around me , what if someone going to disappear from our life, it's always on our minds someone to visit, to buy present, to say sorry, but skipping to do other  day, next week or year. And when it happens feeling regret and guilty about, if we would act earlier may it wouldn't happen. 

I know someone in person survivor after attempt to suicide, and I agree with Garnet there are no hope, because to many disappointments, abandonment, unmet needs, unreceived love, sorry I'll disagree with Kroge, I would say is Not OK, do we have a spear life after this? We quick to buy new shoes, new curtains, new notebook, to rip of misspelled page from letter and opening new page, but do we burning and buying new car just because tire gets flat? Why you should kill your body because you got upset mind and thoughts, if you can't write of your bad emotions it's not a body fault is a choice of choosing negative thoughts instead of positive.

@vincent one of the things that keeps people going (like in those in the movies) is the thought "what if...": what if they find a cure. What if tomorrow something changes and etc. Unfortunately this is what also happens to their love ones  after they gone - and it is devastating to think that if a people would have waited just a little longer everything could have been different . But you never know for sure.

• Upvote 1

Dear Garnet,

to get experience 24/7 as you did and to go to movie is very different, if I would by capable I would made a compulsory duty number of hours to everyone, to get that experience,  care and respect other people. Coming back to the original question Is Suicide Okay, for me is vulnerable, I'm 100% with Scot: A person should not fix a temporary problem with this permanent solution. On a picture (2015) is visual act attention to government, this is how many people leaving every year country I'm coming from.

I'm suppose to be one of them but I've survived, years and years after that I was living with a shame, I was trying and trying to fit my self to life as everybody, but that part still hurts and I don't know how to complete, this forum helps me to openness and authenticity, I'm filtering my past life through new perspective and trying to share my experience it resonates in my heart. The human live s can't be treated as foaling leaves from the tree, each one has unlimited possibilities just don't know that.  

947569_1_1113-osuicide_wide.jpg

Edited by vincent

It's ok when one has the level of awareness such that they can leave the body without "suiciding" the body. Typically that is the case when a soul truly has fulfilled/has nothing to gain from their existing perspective. This *looks like natural causes, and not a suicide.

On 2017-7-3 at 7:36 AM, WireX said:

It's ok when one has the level of awareness such that they can leave the body without "suiciding" the body. Typically that is the case when a soul truly has fulfilled/has nothing to gain from their existing perspective. This *looks like natural causes, and not a suicide.

you mean natural causes arrise or?

is the soul or the consciousness aware of approaching death? 

is it possible to still be alive and have nothing to gain? 

please elaborate on the subject, use examples if needed pls, thnx *

• Upvote 1

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Majda said:

you mean natural causes arrise or?

is the soul or the consciousness aware of approaching death? 

is it possible to still be alive and have nothing to gain? 

please elaborate on the subject, use examples if needed pls, thnx *

1. It is possible for a soul to choose to withdraw from the body.

2. Yes, the soul would be aware of their own withdrawing.

3. "Nothing to gain" depends on your perspective...you always have something to give, though. However, it can be the case that a body is so far removed from their soul path, that it makes sense to pull back and select a different perspective for their soul growth. This isn't an emotional decision, so much as a cut and dry one. ...and if yer aware enough to withdraw from the body without physically suiciding, you are aware enough to answer the flag-ship question of this thread: when is it ok?

Cheers

-W

I believe there can be power in it and the way it is done. Surrounding yourself with every little thing that you love and desire then focusing those vibrations into a new life. Putting on songs you love, surrounding yourself with pictures that inspire you, raising your vibration and writing your intent.

No one can really say suicide is not part of someone's journey or purpose because they aren't the ones to know or decide it.