Sinema

Burnout: Any Suggestions?

4 posts in this topic

Burnout: Any Suggestions?

Hello.

I'm new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place.

I would just like to ask a question on behalf of my mother. She is a tarot card reader and a counsellor who uses a lot of new age stuff in her work. I may be biased but I believe she is very good. 

However, she suffers burnout due to listening to people's wants, needs and problems day in and out. At the end of the day she finds her head is filled with her clients problems, this exhausts her.
The way she described it "they're like bottomless pits, always wanting more, once one problem is solved they find or invent another. They will never be satisfied and nothing will make them happy".

This keeps reoccuring, once or twice a year she gets burned out. I was just wondering if anyone suffers from the same issues and how they deal with it. 

Even though she is a psychic, she takes quite a practical approach to spirituality, which is why Teal Swan appeals to her, compared to some of the "fluffier" love and light approaches. 
Not to sound dismissible but what I mean is, she knows all of the "cleanse with salt" suggestions. What will work for her is practical suggestions, both spiritual and mundane.

If anyone has any help or suggestions they can offer, I cannot describe how grateful I would be.

Hi Walt, thank you so much for your response.

I understand what you mean, although I am not sure I agree. Afterall, if a heart surgeon got burned out treating patients, we wouldn't say they had a heart condition.

I want to say that I agree with Walt that we get triggered by issues in others if we have similar unresolved issues.   But from what you have written, it does not sound like your mother is triggered.  

Some people are unfillable pits of despair.  No matter how much you try to fill their cup it is never enough.  I think your mother has to help her clients to change from "need" that is looking for fulfillment to "fulfillment". Of course, I don't know how she is going to do that.   Maybe act as a bit more of a "counselor" who, rather than solves their problems for them, gets them to come to their own answers.  We all need some support now and then, but to a large extent we all need to learn to stand on our own two feet.

if you sell a man a fish, you feed him for a day.  If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. (But he might not come to your fish store   again.  A bit of a conflict of interest if you sell fish.)

• Upvote 1

I think she has the mentality that she is somehow responsible for making her clients happy and solve their problems. Of course her profession/mission is to help people, but there are also certain limits. She must not forget that she is just an instrument of the universe for people's guidance. In the end. though, everybody is responsible for his own life. Maybe she defines her success by "making people happy" and solving their problems.

I have known a similar problem with a fellow numerologist of mine. This happened to her because she somehow started giving answers to people that THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR. So basicly she put herself in the position of a rescuer without being asked to. And of course some people find this as opportunity (mostly subconsciously). So tell your mother to feel free to take this burden off (starting mentally). Her responsibility lies in following her path and inner voice, keeping a spiritual hygiene, etc. which will result in helping others.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1