Violet Dove

Developing better communication skills

7 posts in this topic

Any advice on developing better communication skills I didn't go to college and I'm 26 now so there seems to be a more noticeable difference between me and college graduates. How can I communicate more effortlessly and have more confidence in the way I speak? A lot of times I cant think of ways to elaborate on topics or basic things.

• Upvote 1

Tbh i don't even use half of the language that i spoke  in school . It was too technical for me anyway . Plus I am multilingual. 

Your language is constantly influenced by the quality of everything you read and listen, people that you spend time with. So your communication greatly depends on what you can share with others.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2017 at 2:03 PM, Garnet said:

Tbh i don't even use half of the language that i spoke  in school . It was too technical for me anyway . Plus I am multilingual. 

Your language is constantly influenced by the quality of everything you read and listen, people that you spend time with. So your communication greatly depends on what you can share with others.

Indeed.  Which is why it really does matter who and what you surround yourself with.  to be open like 100%  Which includes dark sides, sensual sides, etc.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Violet Dove said:

Any advice on developing better communication skills I didn't go to college and I'm 26 now so there seems to be a more noticeable difference between me and college graduates. How can I communicate more effortlessly and have more confidence in the way I speak? A lot of times I cant think of ways to elaborate on topics or basic things.

I seem to notice the same thing!  But there isn't anything wrong with you.  Plus, if you're still in doubt, get a higher education that you are passionate about, and watch how much you can apply it to literally everything in your life.  But with the communication thing, there are many nice schools for it.  not just to help people with a problem, but there are all sorts of things, go to poetry clubs, book clubs.  go to places where you obviously will share a passion.  I say much but i haven't experienced alot myself..

16 hours ago, AbsoluteWave said:

I seem to notice the same thing!  But there isn't anything wrong with you.  Plus, if you're still in doubt, get a higher education that you are passionate about, and watch how much you can apply it to literally everything in your life.  But with the communication thing, there are many nice schools for it.  not just to help people with a problem, but there are all sorts of things, go to poetry clubs, book clubs.  go to places where you obviously will share a passion.  I say much but i haven't experienced alot myself..

Writing down your thoughts helps a lot. Even if it's just a little sketch . What I've noticed is that communication depends greatly on what is currently going on in each person's life. The more happens, the more there's to talk about. And then it becomes easier to share excitement or other feelings. That's why social pages are so useful for this reason. 

Funny, i just remembered my mom's favourite question when she calls :"What's new?". I often literally have to sit down and write a list of things that happened in life and not in my head so i can tell her :D

One of the smartest people I knew in high school didn't go to college.  She became a writer for a newspaper and is a published author.  She expresses herself so well.  I know she reads a lot.

Edited by Scot

Thats awesome I get so flustered when people ask me "whats new" I cant think of anything to say...maybe I just need to get out more do more things and socialize more?

On 5/26/2017 at 1:34 PM, Violet Dove said:

Thats awesome I get so flustered when people ask me "whats new" I cant think of anything to say...maybe I just need to get out more do more things and socialize more?

The thing that is new is the thing you were interested in and think would be worth saying outloud