Sign in to follow this  
inkling

Leaving High school

4 posts in this topic

Leaving High school

Hey I'm  leaving high school. I'm feeling very lost on what I should do when school finishes. I tried to go in the direction of what will give me the most joy but there is a couple of things I'm interested in. I feel that I need to go to university to have a stable future but I just want to move overseas and work. I know people will say you don't need a university degree to have a good job but I need more clarity. I would love to get into modelling but my acne scars make me loose hope and I compare myself to other people. (just writing this out helped a bit lol)

Take it with a grain of salt but sign up for a college somewhere. It's a pretty fast and easy to sign up and it's a good experience because you can pick the classes you like to do. You can learn some valuable insight in "thinking for yourself" and "critical thinking". It also let's you meet new people - friends, romantic interests and leadership in a new environment. You don't have to stress or break the bank to start either. Pursue something you find interesting and your experience will be 10x more enjoyable.

If working the brain  on new topics isnt up your alley take the time to venture out on your own and try new experiences you haven't felt before (and as a budding adult, there will be plenty!). Test out the waters by getting yourself involved in a Hobby, club or community will be super valuable to your growth! 

Go out and take a chance at the things you're curious about!

Edited by Daemic V

Hi there!

Don't worry, your life is just beginning! I was the same way when I left high school. I immediately jumped into college and didn't know what I was going for and after the first year, I still had no idea, but the experience of going and doing research on what paths were out there in the world helped me to better solidify what I was aiming towards.  I do agree with Daemic V that doing something of this sort to get you into a new environment will spawn your interests and get your gears turning on what you might be interested in. If you're not ready to jump into college just yet, then by all means TRUST yourself. You can simply start working and discover paths at the same time (You can ask for internships in the fields you want to experience firsthand, or simply volunteer & you will see what people do in these jobs day in & out). Teal has a few excellent videos on life path/purpose, calling etc (What is My Purpose? & Indecision). If you start working, pay attention to what interests you both inside and outside of work. Combine them and make the best out of what life gives to you. Sadly, our educational system fails to really show the youth what careers are out there, why they are there, and what those careers/fields truly accomplish. I think you simply need some more time to find yourself, and once you do, invest all of your energy into what excites the most after doing the research. Also, in regard to the acne scars, stop comparing yourself to others. They have not lived your life and do not understand what it is like to be you. No one is perfect. I have surgery scars on my back. That's what makes us all unique and beautiful. (Teal even has a video on acne that might help too). Hope my message gives you some guidance!

On 5/20/2017 at 7:19 AM, inkling said:

Leaving High school

Hey I'm  leaving high school. I'm feeling very lost on what I should do when school finishes. I tried to go in the direction of what will give me the most joy but there is a couple of things I'm interested in. I feel that I need to go to university to have a stable future but I just want to move overseas and work. I know people will say you don't need a university degree to have a good job but I need more clarity. I would love to get into modelling but my acne scars make me loose hope and I compare myself to other people. (just writing this out helped a bit lol)

Finish high school. For college you can create your own mission, but dropping out of high school can lead to regrets, especially when it comes from a place hopelessness.