georgia88

How to feel more alive/ joy/fun with more parts of who we are?

9 posts in this topic

In my case, in a very twisted way, before my (sort of) awakening, life was more fun. Happiness is very much related with having fun for me, despite the fact I am not sure I have a clue about what that is, but I have one very short memory that survived, somehow as a question mark. In the absence of feeling fun and joy at full capacity (or close), I feel I lost or missed a vital battle somewhere. 

Things like developing forgiveness, compassion and empathy and understanding a variety of things from human nature mechanism didn't fix my broken links. They meant something, but not something that everybody say or something that I expected. It was more like a shift. A shift from bad  to just hard, thing that allowed me to keep my head above the water and thrive against adversities at some chapters of my life. Life didn't become better, it just became milder, in a way. It didn't become better organically, naturally...with fun and joy included. It become better in my absence from the mids of pain as a result of my disengagement from it, as if I made peace with the heaviness of my cross and I just move on dragging it after me, and sometimes even carrying it/feeling it easier.

So I guess my question also is: How to smoothly access the supressed/unknown/unseen/unaware of parts, not of the memories, but of the feelings and emotions. So I can identify the broken links, reconnect emotionally at all my ends to all these lost, missing, disconnected or frozen parts and to (re)position towards them. How to be better in a stronger way?

Edited by georgia88

In a very similiar way, I reflect back and remember how warm a bright and simple life felt. I know now that it was all just a foggy haze, a shroud pulled over my own perception, ignorance was bliss. I've now heard, seen, felt and learned things beyond the wildest dreams of my past and gained a sense of enlightenment. In a way, I do miss the way life felt myself before I connected all the dots but I don't regret it. If I were to go back and ask myself what I wanted, it would be these experiences, and the snake would forever eat its own tail. I embrace the present and the now because there is true beauty in life and all we have to do is stop for a moment to appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

Be "responsibly irresponsible"

Follow your heart.  And where the heart is, so too is the mind.  In other words, explore what interests you.  On the other hand, keep up your responsibilities.

"Be in the moment". If you are "analyzing the moment" then you are not "in the moment".

Get your filters and voices of doubt out of the way and let your spirit have room to move.  Let you spirit shine through. If it turns out that your spirit is a bit of an asshole then you'll want to figure out the reason.  If you figure out why, it'll probably resolve.

Fun happens when you "live whole-heartedly", "let your hair down", "follow your bliss", "engage your inner child", "be in the moment".  Pick a metaphor.

Good luck

Become aware of your thoughts - they act as filters for your reality and so dictate how fun it is or isn't. Then deliberately change and choose your thoughts, the more extremely the better. Most of these thoughts are so deeply subconscious that it takes genuine shadow work to become aware of them, and subsequently choose differently. Pay close attention to what you learned in early life about how life is "supposed" to be and think of ways how that isn't completely true - if not for you then at least for others. I.e. if I believe that life is inherently bad and unenjoyable, then my entire belief falls apart as soon as I focus on someone who does greatly enjoy life. The only difference is the types of thoughts that either person has chosen to consistently think.

there's no one size fits all. no method that suits everybody. 

what always works tho, regardless of what form it takes, is toning down control/need to control the process. it'll take the best path possible. and everything, absolutely everything is taken into account and is rooted in compassion.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:51 PM, georgia88 said:

In my case, in a very twisted way, before my (sort of) awakening, life was more fun. Happiness is very much related with having fun for me, despite the fact I am not sure I have a clue about what that is, but I have one very short memory that survived, somehow as a question mark. In the absence of feeling fun and joy at full capacity (or close), I feel I lost or missed a vital battle somewhere. 

Things like developing forgiveness, compassion and empathy and understanding a variety of things from human nature mechanism didn't fix my broken links. They meant something, but not something that everybody say or something that I expected. It was more like a shift. A shift from bad  to just hard, thing that allowed me to keep my head above the water and thrive against adversities at some chapters of my life. Life didn't become better, it just became milder, in a way. It didn't become better organically, naturally...with fun and joy included. It become better in my absence from the mids of pain as a result of my disengagement from it, as if I made peace with the heaviness of my cross and I just move on dragging it after me, and sometimes even carrying it/feeling it easier.

So I guess my question also is: How to smoothly access the supressed/unknown/unseen/unaware of parts, not of the memories, but of the feelings and emotions. So I can identify the broken links, reconnect emotionally at all my ends to all these lost, missing, disconnected or frozen parts and to (re)position towards them. How to be better in a stronger way?

Just live life. Be sad, be happy, be you. There is no wrong way to be you.

• Upvote 1

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I started to believe that this self-challenge has a lot to do also with personality profile/type. People focused on creating value (like writers, artists, innovators, scientists, entrepreneurs) have a lot of fun by doing what they want and like.

Very few are social birds in the sense of really loving it. Most the people from this category feel there is not enough time to do all the things they want to do and because of that they feel they are wasting their time by doing the “fun” things.

I guess that some of us are just like Claire Underwood from the film House of Cards.

The only time I had great fun was after we wrapped an adventure TV show production during which we accumulated tones of adrenaline (production is army), and once we were done with it, we nailed it. The paradox is that those times were the worst in my life and above that we barely knew each other, people in that group were not close friends.

It's amazing what chemistry can do.

I have been listening to a Podcast called "Live Awake" by Sarah Blondin. In one episode she puts it out there that she has a constant feeling that something is missing.  And the only time she does not feel it is when she is totally engaged in the current moment.  

I have to agree.  So to feel more alive/fun/joy is simple.  Not easy. But simple.  Be fully engaged and present in the moment.

By the way the episode is called "Our call to presence (the home of your happiness)"

@Walt: In a way, yes. I feel there are bridges missing. They are not separate, but somehow disconnected. 

@Scot: Thanks for the lead, will dive into it.