Scot

The Light and the Dark

12 posts in this topic

The Light and the Dark

I remember a story I heard about a Native American man.

As the story goes, this man feels we all have two wolves inside us and they are always fighting.  One wolf represents good, love, connection.  The other wolf represents evil, hate, separateness.  

Someone asked him "Which wolf is stronger?"

The man replied "The one that I feed"

That is the story as I recall it. To this I will add: you might feed one and you might ignore that the other one is there.  But one wolf cannot kill the other.

• Upvote 1

It's a model and I think it is a pretty good one.  But the model breaks down for humor.  A joke can make the line between good and evil hard to see.  If a joke is given and taken well then it brings people together.  If the joke crosses the line then it divides.

What someone intends as "good natured ribbing" could be received as a hurtful offense. 

Of course the story of the two wolves is just a metaphor.  

A model of the mind (which seems to hold up extremely well) is that we have a conscious mind and a subconscious mind.  And the subconscious mind affects our conscious thoughts WAY more than we care to admit.

The subconscious mind speaks to us in images and impulses.  Some of those impulses are good and some are bad.  Maybe old spiritual types believe that these impulses come from forces external to ourselves (angels and demons)  but modern psychiatry, psychology, cognitive science says "naw, it's just your subconscious mind".  Who is right?   I don't know if we could devise an experiment to conclusively prove one way or another.  But either way, they are both models.  All models are flawed; some models are useful.

The subconscious mind speaks to us through intuitions, dreams and images.  We can get more in touch with our subconscious through meditation.   And we can speak to our subconscious as well through meditation and self-hypnosis.  I read an article on what is the difference between self hypnosis and meditation. In hypnosis you have a goal of implanting an idea in the subconscious.  In meditation you have the goal of either quieting the mind or seeing what is in there (vipassana).  If you see what is in there you can do something about it.  That is what Teal's Completion Process is all about.

Now let's go back to the metaphor.  The wolves, of course, represent impulses coming from our subconscious.  The "good" wolf can do a good job of keeping the "bad" wolf under control but will not kill it. Cannot kill it.   The "bad" wolf might be able to kill the good wolf but I remain hopeful that it can't.  

By the way, this wolf model does not explain the 3D, 4D, 5D model that I have seen in other places. So this wolf model maybe only reflects considerations for the 3D world.   

But now, how to feed the wolves.  I think it's a good idea to feed the "good" one but remember that you cannot kill the "bad" one.

Proper Care And Feeding of your Wolves

Say to yourself (or pick your own statements)  (These statements aren't original to me.  They were said by Penny McGahey)

-May I be well

-May I be happy

-May my heart be open and filled with loving-kindness

-May I know peace in my life

And when you get good at saying that to yourself then say inside your mind to other people:

-May you be well

-May you be happy

-May your heart be open and filled with loving-kindness

-May you know peace in your life

But remember that you cannot kill the bad wolf.  And the bad wolf is tricky.  If you completely ignore that the bad wolf exists, that is spiritual by-passing.   If you walk around being all "Holier than thou" then that is the bad wolf making you narsissitic.  If you play on other people's emotions then the bad wolf is making you sadistic.  If you think that other people should serve your needs but you give nothing to them then the bad wolf is making you ego-centric. 

Stay in the light but don't forget about the dark

Edited by Scot
  • Upvote 2

Oh.  Walt, are you all about "love and light and ignore the darkness" right now?   In that other thread you seemed to be all about "love and light is crap and just enables the status quo".  

What do you think about the conscious mind / subconscious mind thing?   Is that all crap too? Do you have an alternative model?  Please tell.

And if you are still all about "shaking people  out of their status quo" what are you hoping to shake them into?

I am not trying to convince people that there is something wrong with them.  I am picking up on the fairly well known metaphor of the two wolves because that is wholeness.   

Edited by Scot

There was some good genuine insight into the struggles we find within here, regardless of this tension and confrontation that tends to arise between you two. Feed the good dog, and good is going to be the traits that encourage love and compassion. 

Edited by Daemic V
  • Upvote 1

You make a very good point.   Darkness is a reminder that house cleaning needs to be done.

Sometimes things irritate, anger or upset us and a fairly natural reaction is to try to tamp it down and forget it.  Maybe sometimes that works but then other times we wake up at 3:00am still thinking about it. (Been there.  Done that)  I take that as a definite sign that I shouldn't have tried to tamp it down.  In those cases it seems to be best to be willing to take an honest look at whatever uncomfortable emotion it is, my honest role in the problem, and figure it out and somehow resolve it.  All without becoming "holier than thou" and feeling self-righteous like I'm some kind of freaking saint. And all without driving myself nuts in the process.

The thing is that after we exorcise our demons it seems like the very next day something else irritates, angers or upsets us.   And so the house cleaning is never ending.

It feels like I am always cleaning up after that dog.

Edited by Scot

Trust and the playful puppy

Okay, so let's say that things have been going pretty good for a while. The good wolf has been in charge; nothing has riled up the bad emotions. Things are looking pretty good.  But maybe they are also a little boring.  You don't want to start a hateful fight but you do want to have a little fun.  And so you make a joke, or play a joke.

If the joke goes over well then everyone has a good time.  If the joke goes over poorly then those bad wolves wake back up again.  And this brings up the issue of Trust.

If you know you can trust each other then you can have a play fight like playful puppies.  

But on the other hand, luring someone in, acting nice and then turning on them violates trust.  If we can't trust each other then we will constantly feel like we have to protect ourselves.  That bad wolf will always be ready to snap, and might cause us to see anger or aggression even if none exists.

May you have fun

May you have trust

May your heart be open and filled with loving kindness

Edited by Scot

Sorry walt.  I am having a hard time understanding your point.  You seem to be putting "trust" together with "codependence". 

"Codependency is a type of dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports or enablesanother person's drug addictionalcoholismgambling addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement.[1]"

If you are saying that two people who both have a LACK of general trust support and enable each other for their lack of general trust then I think I would agree: it is codependence.

But if you are saying that two people have healthy trust in themselves and each other is codependency then no.  I disagree.   Trust is a basis for loving relationships.

[1] Johnson, R. Skip (13 July 2014). "Codependency and Codependent Relationships"BPDFamily.com. Retrieved 9 September 2014.

Edited by Scot

Okay,  "faith" and "trust" I would say.

============================

May you have fun

May you have faith that God loves you and wants you to be happy.

May you have faith that God loves all of us and wants all of us to be happy.

May you have trust that, for the most part, you are a good person.

May you have trust that, for the most part, all of us are good people.

May your heart be open and filled with loving kindness, both for yourself and for others.

Edited by Scot

On 5/16/2017 at 7:01 AM, Scot said:

The Light and the Dark

I remember a story I heard about a Native American man.

As the story goes, this man feels we all have two wolves inside us and they are always fighting.  One wolf represents good, love, connection.  The other wolf represents evil, hate, separateness.  

Someone asked him "Which wolf is stronger?"

The man replied "The one that I feed"

That is the story as I recall it. To this I will add: you might feed one and you might ignore that the other one is there.  But one wolf cannot kill the other.

Chaotic energy exists within the realm of experience. Our job is to control that chaotic energy. After reaching higher states of Divine Bliss, we discover that Oneness automatically eliminates polarity and nullifies chaos as an illusion. However, from the standpoint of creation, there is always yin and yang elements in place as the building blocks of reality. For example, to have thing (1) you need a contrast of no-thing (0). They realy on eachother to create and recognize itself.

Genereally speaking, chaotic energy (the feminine waters), had more capacity to create since they are the passive observers. Later on, the paradigm of "evil" or cunningness, would further strengthen this side's creative capacity. 

Edited by John Flores