angelina_908

Can acupuncture treat depression?

5 posts in this topic

I have been taking antidepressant medication for a while but I couldn't feel any change in my condition. 
I have been under stress and anxiety for years. This has resulted in other health issues like restless sleep, tiredness, headache, etc. I'm fed up of taking medicines. I researched about alternatives ways to treat anxiety, depression, stress, and headache and came across an article which says acupuncture can treat all these. So I'm planning to schedule an appointment with a therapist for an acupuncture treatment from a clinic in Toronto
Has anyone here undergone acupuncture treatment for anxiety or stress? How was your experience?     

My mom has tried acupuncture. I am not sure if that was acupuncture that helped or the fact that she has tried something very radical +change in environment +time with herself.

tai chi and qi gong can help, because it was through this art they found the acupuncture channels. one tip is to also not stand on your heels, put ur weight on the balls of ur feet so the energy flows, it actually helps with depression

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2017 at 8:50 AM, angelina_908 said:

I have been taking antidepressant medication for a while but I couldn't feel any change in my condition. 
I have been under stress and anxiety for years. This has resulted in other health issues like restless sleep, tiredness, headache, etc. I'm fed up of taking medicines. I researched about alternatives ways to treat anxiety, depression, stress, and headache and came across an article which says acupuncture can treat all these. So I'm planning to schedule an appointment with a therapist for an acupuncture treatment from a clinic in Toronto
Has anyone here undergone acupuncture treatment for anxiety or stress? How was your experience?     

As someone who's getting their masters in counseling, I would say give cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and mindfulness intervention a try. CBT has been shown to be very effective in conditions such as anxiety and depression. Mindfulness is a relatively new intervention developed from Eastern philosophies and has also helped treat these conditions.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, walt said:

Can you cite CBT as being very effective in treating anxiety and depression?

Absolutely! These are just a few of the studies that have shown support for CBT being effective with anxiety and depression:

• "Our review of randomized placebo-controlled trials indicates that CBT is efficacious for adult anxiety disorders."
  • Hofmann, S. G., & Smits, J. A. (2008). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for adult anxiety disorders: A meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 69(4), 621.

• "Both treatments significantly improved QoL, anxiety and depression (p<0.005) over 8 weeks; the rate of change did not differ between groups. Improvements were maintained with no significant change during follow-up. Ratios of post- to pretreatment use of health services were equal to 1 for both groups."
  • Kunik, M. E., Veazey, C., Cully, J. A., Souchek, J., Graham, D. P., Hopko, D., ... & Stanley, M. A. (2008). COPD education and cognitive behavioral therapy group treatment for clinically significant symptoms of depression and anxiety in COPD patients: a randomized controlled trial. Psychological Medicine, 38(3), 385-396. doi: 10.1017/S0033291707001687

• "In general, effect sizes of internet-based interventions for symptoms of anxiety were larger than effect sizes for depressive symptoms; however, this might be explained by differences in the amount of therapist support."
  • Spek, V., Cuijpers, P. I. M., Nyklíček, I., Riper, H., Keyzer, J., & Pop, V. (2007). Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy for symptoms of depression and anxiety: a meta-analysis. Psychological Medicine, 37(3), 319-328. doi: 10.1017/S0033291706008944

These are just a few studies that are in support of CBT, but there are many, many more. To view the other studies, this link should provide a lot of evidence: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=CBT+anxiety+depression&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C23&as_sdtp=

Edited by Rose Quartz
Corrected citation formatting.
  • Upvote 1