Sign in to follow this  
Redbeard

[POLITICS] a column on the Dutch elections

5 posts in this topic

Last wednesday elections were hold for the Dutch parliament and was widely said to be an indicator for the strength of European the populist and anti-islam movement with elections in Germany and France coming up. With all the tensions around refugees, immigration, integration and EU involvement, the right wing populists, led by Geert Wilders, were by far the biggest party in all the polls before the election. The result of the election is very interesting and it shows societal processes expressed in hard numbers. Because an election provides a solid reflection of how a society thinks about itself, these numbers give us a factual look and offers a nice contrast with most threads on this forum talk who about societal changes based on feelings and perceptions of individuals. I want to give my thoughts on it and explain a bit more about Dutch politics for all you non-Dutchies.

Dutch parliament consists of 150 seats and the seats are divided along the actual percentage of votes. This means that for every roughly 0,7% of the votes a party earns, it gets 1 seat. This 0,7% is also a threshold for parties to join the parliament if you are below that number you will need receive any seat. This system is very different to the American system where the majority of the votes of a state wins all the votes of that state. We Dutch find that totally undemocratic as the minority (in reality still a near half) is ingnored in the American system. After the elections a majority of the 150 seats is needed in order to rule, so that is 76 seats. The government and its ministers are formed out of parliament by a coalition of parties that together hold a majority in parliament. During the formation of that coalition, those parties agree on the road to be taken for the next 4 years and that plan plus the majority that they hold is a basis for governance as it allows them to get laws voted in by parliament.

There were 28 parties that partook in this election and the result is astonishing. Traditionally the Labour party, the Liberal Party and Christen Democrats were always the biggest parties with each getting 30-45 votes and that was fairly stable. In 2012 the two biggest parties, Labour and Liberal, form a coalition with each having 41 and 38 seats respectiviley, which is around 30% of the total votes each.
Now the Liberal party led by PM Mark Rutte won the election with 33 seats, so they lost 8 seats. The party led by Geert Wilders ended second with 20 seats in the elections but with a small increase in seats as opposed to the 2012 elections. The third place was a tie for the Democrats and Christen democrats with 19 seats each. Labour fucked up big time and went from 38 to 9 seats. Big winner was the GreenLeft party who went from 4 to 14 seats.

What does this mean? To me this shows a totally fragmented political environment. With 13 parties in parliament you obviously get a very wide spectrum of opinions but the strength of all the parties has flattened out a lot. While previously a few big parties dominated parliament, but now 6 parties are fairly matched to each other. Luckily the right wing party of Geert Wilders is not big and didn't grow much. Everybody is happy about that and it shows that a good deal of solidarity in the country.
I can only speculate that the spiritual reason behind this result is that people are waking up. Why? There is such a clear loss in the traditional pillars of Dutch politics and people have voted on a party that suits their own nuanced beliefs better. To me that means that people are thinking more. The smaller parties are stronger in their beliefs on certain issues and are sometimes called 'one issue party', like animal welfare, the elderly and anti-discrimination. Obviously they don't have just one issue but they do put emphasis on points that people apparently find issues important that have been too undervalued by the big parties. For example, the Animal Party with 3,6% of the votes represents around 430.000 people. Out of a country with 16 million (maybe 17 already) that is a lot! And I think that means that more people want to see a change in how things are going, be it left wing or right wing, the traditional way of doing things clearly doesn't cut it anymore for more and more people.

So now starts the big job with forming a coalition. This will likely be a coalition of 4 parties, which means that 4 parties will have to haggle and struggle to combine all of their beliefs and ideas into one pact. This will require a good deal of Dutch tolerance, although I hope we can turn that into 'I love you no matter what you believe'.
In case you are wondering: I voted for the animal party. The only party who isn't just pro-nature but actually sees nature as an integral part of our life.
Peace

Edited by Redbeard

5 hours ago, Amaryllis said:

Just curious... what is your perspective on the turkish immigrants situation?

I am not aware of any situation with specifically Turkish immigrants. There has been a row with Turkish ministers trying to hold rally's in the country and that did not go well. can you be more specific

Oh, I asked because I saw that there were some protests, and that Wilders dude told them to go back to turkey... and that Erdogan said to the turkish immigrants to have tons of babies to supplant the european ones... and that the europeans are nazis...

Don't know, just wondering if it was as bad as they made it look. Like crime and polarity rising between people... and immigrants creating problems.

Edited by Amaryllis

Why don't you go see the reality?  Go watch the great speech he gave at the rally of 1000s for tommy robinson, who was being a journalist, exposing child grooming gangs right beside his salon.  There is alot to tune into.  Please, keep up or you will be left in the dust and it wont be fun.  people who are committed to life, change and learning are the ones who will survive into the golden age, many will lose the will to live on mainly due to more and more releases from like vault 7 and the like.  Also learn the elites tactics and read all the books and the like.

Well the pro nature things is great but their other policies matter more, much more since there is history of things we need to solve first.  the liete have had rotted things out for ages. so it will take some time to truly drain the swamp.  and if you also notice that everything now is nazi and super super right.  there is no such thing as left and right anymore etc.  Why not do some more research by more investigative journalists that are being censored to this day?  find out why that might be.  because they are effective.