Peggy

Has anyone pressure canned food before?

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone pressure canned food before?

I was interested in starting a garden this summer and wanted to learn how to can the food I get from it. I also help make a lot of soups and think that it would be to can those too. But I have never canned before and a pressure caner seems hard to use. For instance, I don't know what pressure to can certain foods and for how long. I was interested in buying the All American Canner becuase it has the best review but feel weird about paying $200 for something i have know idea to use properly.

If something happens to the economy, I think it would be very resourceful to learn how to can food and save it that is one of the main reasons why I am interested in this asides from always wanting to grow a garden. It also seemed confusing as to how to actually can vegetables... like are you supposed to chop them up a little and there be tons of air pockets between the chunks of carrots or whatever.

Anyway and help on how to determine the pressure and length of time for certain foods and if that even matters if much appreciated :)

• Upvote 2

On 14-3-2017 at 10:42 PM, Peggy said:

pressure canned food

If you put that in youtube you will find a lot of video's on that topic.

• Upvote 1

Also pick up the " Blue Ball canning book" It is not too hard or start with a hot water bath canner until you feel comfortable . It is not difficult and it is fun too , good luck with your garden  I think most things can be pickled and canned with a hot water bath canner and they are not expensive.

• Upvote 1