alixkatx

Back and Forth Vegan/Vegetarian

4 posts in this topic

Back and Forth Vegan/Vegetarian

So, ever since I was about 13 I have been invested in my health. In fact I went so far as to determine that I wanted to be vegan/vegetarian or at least learn more about it. I remember being even younger and hating eating meat. But being told that I had to eat it. Ever since then I have gone back and forth between being vegan/vegetarian and eating meat. I can't seem to commit fully to this lifestyle even though I want to. I carry tremendous guilt for my inability to be fully vegan. When I've transitioned from meat eater to vegan in the past I would feel great for about a week and then get brain fog and just feel unhealthy. Anyway, I'm really looking for insight on this because I would love to let go of the guilt and actually move forward. I do want to eat a vegan diet. By the way I'm 26 now so this has been an issue for a fairly large chunk of my life. I'm very sensitive to this topic, and I have a feeling it's due to a resistance of some kind on my part and perhaps also that I have felt judged in the past for my food choices. Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you 

• Upvote 1

Walt

I actually don't know what my blood type is. While I appreciate your input, I have done my fair share of research on foods in general. To me it is less about the vegan label and more so about the healthy foods that I would be choosing to consume. So basically my version of being vegan is without processed foods, sugar and because I'm gluten free I wouldn't be eating flour either. 

I feel it in my bones that eating a plant based diet is what is right for me I'm just having an issue getting to that point. Again I appreciate your input but it isn't serving me in my mission to reach a plant based diet. Thank you. 

Edited by alixkatx

just the label vegan doesn't mean the goal is health for some people, I think people are programmed to think a certain way about a diet like where do you get your protein? but you need meat, all this sort of talk from other people that were taught thisImage result for food pryamid

I'm not you and I do think diet is a very individual thing and almost like a evolutionary process. most people have this everything in moderation way of thinking but I like to just break those addictions in the first place so there doesn't have to be this moderation thing going on and I have a 1 day of the week binge of junk food. Listen to your body, it is that simple, you'll get information outside of you if you need a vitamin or mineral. Quinoa, chia seeds, sea moss, there's a lot of stuff you can eat. Try seitan if you crave meat and want to eat it, for me my legs get anxious when I cant eat something, or my body doesn't like what I ate. Try Ezekiel bread if you cant have gluten, there really are a lot of options now, just listen to your body and higher self if you can and listen to that.

Edited by Alex7
  • Upvote 1

An interest in health will mean you need to research and learn about food and nutrition, of course. After I read several books on the subject of nutrition, I began to eat more meat because I believed my body would become stronger. This continued until I learned about Gary Yourofsky.

I wouldn't kill an animal in order to eat it. Thus, I shouldn't pay others to kill the animals for me. End of story. My conscience trumped any of my beliefs regarding health. (Beliefs I don't believe any more, anyway.) @alixkatx Can you make the same shift in your experience? Decide to be vegan, even if you get brain fog and your bones become weak from malnutrition and things are horrible.

---I want to discuss another issue I experience around my diet.

When others offer me meat and nasty food like candy which I don't actually enjoy, I stall and succumb and indulge. It's like, I can't 'actively' support violence passively in the sense that I wouldn't buy meat/junk food at the grocery store or cook or offer others junk food, but when others offer me nasty stuff, I can't keep my integrity.

I found that my family came to tolerate my decision and as I 'stood firm', they would offer me non-vegan food less and less often. Yet, they still offer food out of habit and sometimes to sort-of mock me. I never eat meat, but occasionally candy. I know I have a negative, emotional relationship to food.

Inspired by Ray Maor, I did a 3-day dry fast a while ago. I didn't experience any hunger or averse effects - blew my mind. My tongue became a little white, and then the whiteness disappeared and I decided to resume my diet. The problem after this experiment is that I now hold myself to the standard of breatharianism (I 'know' I will become breatharian at some point :)) and my family doesn't approve of any fasting practices. I will now experience the 'what-the-hell'-effect very often and care about what I eat to a much lesser degree.

Any insights? Thank you.

• Upvote 2