Sign in to follow this  
Open_Eyes_Say_Yes

Does Shadow Work Compliment CBT and ACT?

3 posts in this topic

I have been referred by my GP for Cognitive Behavioural and Acceptance and Commitment focused therapy.

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) gets it name from one of its core messages: to accept what is out of your personal control, while committing to action that will improve your quality of life.

The aim of ACT is to help people create a rich full and meaningful life, while effectively handling the pain and stress that life inevitably brings. ACT  attempts to do this by:

a) teaching psychological skills to deal with painful thoughts and feelings effectively – in such a way that they have much less impact and influence over you (mindfulness skills)

b) helping to clarify what is truly important and meaningful to you  - ie your values - then use that knowledge to guide, inspire and motivate you to change your life for the better.

Do you think this type of therapy compliments shadow work?

Edited by Open_Eyes_Say_Yes
spelling

Shadow Work does compliment Cognitive Behaviour Therapies. Think, Feel and Act are the three basic components of CBT.  Basically, thoughts cause feelings and feelings cause action or behaviour. What shadow work does is help to uncover hidden negative belief systems that cause negative manifestations. Initially, there is fear because some of these feelings we are working with have never seen the light of day. I have been through it and it does take courage. If you would like to check it out.before trying it, check out the concept of Self Enquiry .Byron Katie is a leading edge spiritual teacher whose focus is on self enquiry. She offers a simple process that yields the same results as CBT. It is simple and it is something you can do on your own. I use the simple process all the time. Her website is thework.com. She also has many many videos on YouTube. (I discovered her through a Teal Swan recommendation). It will help to acclimate you to the types of questions that will arise if you do try CBT. I highly recommend self-enqiry. 

• Upvote 1

I rewatched Teal's video positive focus V Shadow work and this answered this question. What I was concerned about with CBT is that it uses only positive focus and could be used to avoid doing shadow work

• Upvote 1