Redbeard

Spiritual movies

10 posts in this topic

Spiritual movies

I love watching Teal's videos but sometimes you just want to kick back on the couch and watch something fun, which also makes you learn something. So let's share our favourite spiritual movies :) Movies that hit you, movies that have a surprising and deep (spiritual) message in them or from which you have learnt a lot. Whatever you like, just shout it out.

The last one that very much hit me was "I Origins", a movie that makes synchronicities and connectedness a central theme while also being very engaging.

Everyone reading this should check out The Ultimate Gift.  It's an amazing movie. Let me know when you watch it and what you think! A hidden gem for sure!

I enjoyed I Origins too. 'specially because I'm romantic AF.

This one's an oldie, but really liked The Fountain (2006) too.

• Upvote 1

On 21-2-2017 at 9:11 PM, Odetta said:

Everyone reading this should check out The Ultimate Gift.  It's an amazing movie. Let me know when you watch it and what you think! A hidden gem for sure!

That description sounds awesome! I am keen to watch it now but I think I will wait until I get an opportunity to watch it with my lady.

On 22-2-2017 at 5:15 PM, Damon is Awesome said:

Star wars, especially episode 5, all about the universe, others could include the matrix, inception., American beauty is really awesome its a wonderful life, life is beautiful,

Yes, the Matrix absolutely needs to be on the list! I remember watching it in the cinema when I was 12 and it hasn't left me since then, such a powerful notion.

On 22-2-2017 at 7:27 PM, Kim said:

I enjoyed I Origins too. 'specially because I'm romantic AF.

This one's an oldie, but really liked The Fountain (2006) too.

Brit Marling (one of the actors of I Origins) has made some films herself and they all have their unique flavour, they are definitely in the philosophical / spiritual corner. And I still don't know exactly what the Fountain was about but cruising beneath a tree through the galaxy is like everybody's wet dream. Such beautiful images!

On 22-2-2017 at 8:27 PM, Ioana Ioana said:

the life of master Dogen-zen

That reminds me a bit of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring.

Split (2016)

It's about fragmentation, describes the story of a man with multiple personalities and how their parts struggle to protect one of its aspects, I loved when the psicologist gets to build trust with one aspect, it reminded myself when I am doing "parts work", validating the aspect that thinks is negative.

Some of my all-time favorite Spiritual movies are:

My Dinner with Andre
Joseph Campbell: Sukhavati
The Happiness Prescription
Walk with Me
Hideous Kinky
Monsieur Ibrahim et Les Fleurs du Coran
The Sandpiper (for its surprisingly Krishnamurti undertone)
Nightmare Alley
The Wizard of Oz
The Lego Movie
Pi
The Fountain
The Nines
The Ninth Gate
Rosemary's Baby
Melancholia
Mulholland Dr.
Disobedience
A Dark Song
Mother!
The Tree of Life
Knight of Cups

Also, these epics are great:
The Messenger
Kingdom of Heaven (Director’s Cut Roadshow Version)
Troy (Director’s Cut)
Agora

~Enjoy!

Also, some so-so spiritual movies:
Seven (1995)                                                     ...loved this very original psychological thriller!
The Devil's Advocate (1997)                          ...thought it was better than Dogma, lol!
Ink (2009)                                                           ...pretty cool concept behind it, similar vibe to "The Nines."
Dark City (Director's Cut) (2008)                   ...the Truman Show meets the Matrix!
Blade Runner (The Final Cut) (2007)            ...only took 25 years for a "definitive cut" of this cult-classic!
The Thirteen Floor (1999)                              ...similar concept to "The Matrix," before the Matrix!
The Others (2001)                                            ...I see dead people?

On the lighter side:
The Age of Adaline (2015)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Vanya on 42nd Street (1994)
The Secret Garden (1993)

And some not-so spiritual, but still pretty cool movies:
Push (2009)                                ...liked it better than "Jumper."
Jumper (2008)                           ...I thought, at least, it was a cool concept.

(I'm a bit of a movie buff in case you haven't noticed, lol!)