Kim

ASMR

4 posts in this topic

ASMR

At this point, I'm sure we've all heard about ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) but for those unfamiliar with it wikipedia describes it as "a tingly experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine, precipitating relaxation."

Anyway. I've been into asmr videos since 2012/2013. Randomly happened upon it & found it quite interesting. I've realised I like them, somewhat because of the tingles, mostly because of the sense of intimacy & connection I get from it. Might sound sad but there it is. 

I don't really have much intimacy/connecting in my life at the moment (I haven't been allowing it)... so I guess I get my fix from these videos.

Do any of you enjoy asmr videos? If so, which of the youtube content creators are your favs? What are your triggers & reasons for watching?

Just curious.

• Upvote 2

I have a theory that we experience ASMR as pleasurable because when we were infants and wanting to go to sleep, our caregivers would hold us and soothe us and speak softly and make quiet sounds until we fell asleep. I think people who don't experience ASMR perhaps do not have this association for various different reasons. I remember feeling ASMR especially in a room with other people present and I was trying to sleep and they were speaking quietly and moving around softly. I think the actual "tingly" feeling is the simulation of the touch of another person, because I noticed I get the same sensation when anyone touches me softly. I love ASMR, sometimes I just watch videos for fun :D 

• Upvote 2

Hello Kim!

I actually love ASMR too! I have may favorite youtube ASMR artist like MassageASMR, Tinglebites, and Gentile whispering, to name a few. My triggers are plastic crinkle sounds, capping/uncapping bottle sounds, liquid shaking sounds, and inaudible whispering/mouth sounds.

I think that I have never considered how this plays into my spiritual life. I know that the sounds help me relax but I think it is interesting what Lightworker mentioned above. 

Kim, do you feel that there is a reason why some people are triggered with ASMR? What are your thoughts?

Best,

Ramses R.