FARolle

What is the source/spiritual Perspective on Competition?

6 posts in this topic

What is the source/spiritual Perspective on Competition?

Does competition contribute to universal expansion? Does being a competitor contradict being a creator? Can u do both? Is it unhealthy to have one's career revolve around competition and results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ultimate "spiritual" perspective on competition right now is very conflicted. How do I know this? Because YOUR perspective on it is conflicted.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FARolle said:

What is the source/spiritual Perspective on Competition?

Does competition contribute to universal expansion? Does being a competitor contradict being a creator? Can u do both? Is it unhealthy to have one's career revolve around competition and results?

I've always wondered this as well. I feel it does contribute to universal expansion, greatly as a matter of fact as you are pushing yourself to grow and improve at a more rapid pace than normal. While that may have it downsides, I definitely don't think it's bad by any means. In my opinion, competition all comes down to ego, but that's not a bad thing at all. They can't exist without eachother.

 

Also, based on your profile picture and this thread, I'm assuming you are either a competitive gamer and or a competitive gaming spectator? I am as well. It's awesome to see that there are gamer's that are part of teal tribe, haha.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Th

1 hour ago, Glake said:

I've always wondered this as well. I feel it does contribute to universal expansion, greatly as a matter of fact as you are pushing yourself to grow and improve at a more rapid pace than normal. While that may have it downsides, I definitely don't think it's bad by any means. In my opinion, competition all comes down to ego, but that's not a bad thing at all. They can't exist without eachother.

 

Also, based on your profile picture and this thread, I'm assuming you are either a competitive gamer and or a competitive gaming spectator? I am as well. It's awesome to see that there are gamer's that are part of teal tribe, haha.

Thanks for your perspective.

Wow that's awesome. I am a competitive console gamer. I plan to be a professional halo player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FARolle said:

Th

Thanks for your perspective.

Wow that's awesome. I am a competitive console gamer. I plan to be a professional halo player.

No problem!

I love Halo, don't play it as often as I'd like but I really enjoy watching competitive Halo 5. I wish you best of luck in your Halo career! Now I'm a bit more interested to see if there are any other gamer's here on TT.

11 hours ago, Mark Joseph Middleton said:

Its like anything. It can help and hurt. Sometimes at the same time.

The desire to be 1st to be number one, means 999 other people have to fail. Which sucks if you step back and look at it.
The desire to be great or to do well, means 999 or a larger percent of them at least can do well, and the others can receive some congratulations for being there and being part of it all.

It gets to a point its top heavy and doesn't help overall. It certainly encourages growth and drives people, but its also the reason many are miserable, going by someone else's standards for anything.
Too much focus on the top, not enough on everything that got that person to that point in their life, the coaches, the people they played, the mentors etc, etc. Apply this to anything. The pyramid design that most of society is based on.

Pretty much this!

The competitive nature is beautiful, but it also had it's ugly side, I guess you could say, just like anything else! I think the main issue is when people define their entire self-worth on whether or not they succeed in that specific competitive field. That's when thing get a bit damaging. Even I fall victim that as someone who feels to have never been close to decent at anything in particular, but also loves competing with a passion. It's hard sometimes, but a persons mental state plays a HUGE role in competition, thought, that's fairly obvious.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks OP for creating this thread!

I've been thinking about this also. I took up gaming again this past year (after losing interest in it for a couple of years) and even though I just play casually I've still struggled with the competitiveness that I experience.

I've discovered that I hate losing, I absolutely loathe it at times. I get so invested in a particular match and I play my heart out all to result in a loss, it's so emotionally painful. I get so angry, and disappointed.

For me I think competitiveness can be harmful because I tend to invest so much of myself into the outcome, that anything other than a win feels like the ultimate failure, basically the end of the world. It sounds dramatic but it really brings out some strong negative emotions.

I think it's related to my own self worth, and my sense of purpose in this universe, and also my desires. I subconsciously place so much importance on winning that if I don't get the desired outcome, I'm not worthy, and that I'll never get what I want out of life. When it comes to gaming I have this deep desire to be better than everyone else and I guess to be recognise as such. I don't know where this comes from. I also understand that for this to be true, someone else has to be second, or last.

I think competition can most serve expansion in the form of trying to become better than yourself, rather than trying to becoming better than others (while acknowledging that you're good enough as you are)

That's my recent experience anyway

p.s. my poison has been Overwatch haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now