Auryn

Diet and spirituality?

9 posts in this topic

I've been working on becoming more and more vegetarian/vegan for health reasons and out of concern for animal abuse. I know Teal doesn't eat meat or animal products because she views it as "eating trauma." However, I went to an energy healer recently to help heal some heavy emotional issues I was having at the time. She recommended that I eat beef for a few days to gain some spiritual support? I can't remember her exact reasoning, but I found it interesting... Does anyone know why it would be good, spiritually, to eat meat? I'm just curious. 

Note: I'm still pursing my vegetarian/vegan lifestyle! I've found that it works very well for my body. And, I don't condemn anyone else for eating meat. I know that different diets work better for different people. I just wonder how much of that is due to body chemistry, vitamin deficiencies, or spiritual needs...

• Upvote 2

I don't know the science behind it, I just add quinoa to my diet to fill in the gaps, but I do eat all kinds of vegetables and fruits, if the way im eating is bad then the human body is flawed. I noticed when you clean up your diet and eat that way for like a month and try to go back, you can't, your body will hurt and because your body is clean and you can feel it, so you can actually feel the food hurting your body. it really is a personal thing to play around with your diet and see how you feel, if your body is clean it will tell you you can't eat that because your body will hurt. yes spirituality and diet go together, when I eat raw and fast I get high, like really, you see how numb everyone is also, so that's the negative about it, but yeah your whole perspective changes once you get rid of the addictions through your diet, fasting will show you you are addicted to food and that alone cleans layers when you do it for more that 3 days. I don't think meat would help though, that's just me though lol.

• Upvote 2

I'll say this: 

I helped at a community cook out recently, and wound up working the burger station of all things. There were burgers and hot dogs for miles. I blessed them as I assembled and served them, lol. But there were no veggie options, and the hungry locals were taking them, and eating them like they were starving, some 3 at a time. It was really hard to watch, knowing that when you're dying to eat, and someone is providing you with something quick and dirty, it's almost impossible to resist. 

I was so curious about the energy those folks were consuming, I took a a burger home with me, and ate it when I knew I'd have several hours before sleeping, so I wouldn't have meat churning around in my stomach while I was dreaming. I felt fine. In fact, maybe it's because I felt drawn to consume it, and study the energy, I was able to get a deeper perspective on they physical needs of those in the area, the intention in how the food was cooked. I felt fine. 

The next day, I just went back to greens, (I also volunteer for a veggie repurposing program, and get a large bag of veggies per week to live off of), and hydrated a little more. I think what really gets people (and this always freaked me out as a kid), is eating meat every single day, and every single meal. I can't eat chicken anymore, that energy is bonkers, and crazy feeling to me, but eggs are alright. I used to choose one meat per day, and cut out red meat when I was in college. Chicken eventually just wasn't doing it for me anymore. So, I inserted veggies, and immediately felt incredible. Never went back. 

Do I think it's eating something else's trauma? Sometimes. If the soul contract is a thing, that animal was here to exchange energy as food. I honor its life, bless the food, and proceed to eat it if I feel called to eat it - very rarely. As it not-so-often, lol. Although that's another point. If I do eat meat, I prefer it cooked rare, or served like tartare, raw, pounded and seasoned. The energy is completely different. This neighborhood that I live in is blood and meat hungry, and it's so bizarre to feel those cravings in the air. 

I've been on the veggie to vegan journey for the last few years, and noticed the real differences when I started fasting for the first half of the day (which I still do now) and hydrating. The difference is unmistakable. Especially if you parter that with detoxing, which happens when you cut out the lower vibrational foods (processed, fast food, packaged foods, microwavable foods, canned goods, meat, dairy, cheese, unhealthy fats, non-vegan mayo etc). The only thing I still indulge in is band beer, but I don't feel bad after having it, so I'm alright with that. In balanced amounts (and if higher quality, or micro-brewed), beer actually has some health benefits. It's all a personal thing, and that's just how I feel. 

I'm so sensitive physically when I 'cleanse' my diet, that if I have anything canned (I've accepted food assistance this year, and it's mostly canned foods) that has high fructose corn syrup or thickening agents in it, I get sick to my stomach, and achy. Plus, I can taste the metal of the can. It's really not fun, lol. Fasting has really saved my life this year. I also need to drink spring water, as tap makes me violently sick, and all I can feel are the chemicals. It's awful. 

So, that's my food story, lol. Not quite a book, but it was trying! 

• Upvote 2

Maybe by "spiritual support" she was referring to grounding? (In Teal's video On Grounding she comments on how spiritual people have sometimes grouped meat and grounding together...) :) 

Also on meat eating and whether its spiritual, I would recommend Rudolf Steiner's fascinating ideas on spirituality & food: 

The difference between animal and vegetable diets is based on the principle just stated. If we live on exclusively vegetable food, our own human being has to take over all that portion of the process which the animal performs for us, after it has eaten and assimilated plants, and brought the substance a stage further. We may put it thus: the process brought to a certain stage by the plant itself, is then carried further by the animal. The formative process of the animal organism stops at this point, whereas in the plant it stops here.

The meat-eater dispenses with the particular digestive process performed within the animal; he leaves it to the animal to do it for him. Therefore the meat-eater does not develop those particular energies that must be and are developed by vegetable substance, which he must lead himself to the necessary point. So the organism has to mobilise quite other forces in order to deal with plant food than is the case with meat food. These forces, these potential forces for overcoming, whether used or not, are there: they exist within us and if not used they recoil, as it were, into the organism, and are active — with the general effect of causing great exhaustion and irritation to the individual. Thus it becomes necessary to emphasise strongly that there is considerable relief from fatigue, if a vegetarian diet is adopted. Man becomes more able to work because he gets used to drawing on inherent sources of energy which he fails to do but makes sources of disturbance by a meat diet. As already made plain, I am not “agitating” for anything. I know that even homeopathic physicians have repeatedly assured me that persons induced to abandon meat food are thereby exposed to consumption. Yes, that may be possible. Nevertheless the stark facts just stated, remain unaffected it is so, beyond all dispute. I will, however, quite freely admit that there are human organism’s among us today that cannot tolerate purely vegetable food, that require meat in their diet. This depends on the individual casehttp://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/steiner-nutrition 

I don't know if you're experiencing this, but I'm finding it challenging being in a nebulous non-definite place about food (most days I'm wholefood vegan, other days I worry about possibly needing meat/eggs/dairy like today, but after just a mouthful of chicken I felt so awful and no matter what people around me were telling me I felt it can't be right for me if I feel awful after....) It's probably due to the  ambiguity, of not being able to easily label some foods right/wrong, good/bad.   

Mostly I find, retrospectively, if I crave animal products (almost exclusively dairy) plus anything junky or refined,  then its more to do with feeling shitty (e.g having some trauma re-triggered) and trying to escape the feeling.  But right now- and maybe this is true for you?- I don't feel that purity for the sake of purity as regards diet would serve me best. Freedom to dabble a bit here and there does serve me, even if I (re)learn the same stuff.  <3

• Upvote 1

If you feel that you have a need - do it. 

There are a lot of vegan meat like products today, but i think we fool ourselves when we think it's going to satisfy us. The ingredients on those products are often highly questionable.

I believe dairy is not that bad if it comes from a good farm and if you can digest it (i can't). Pasteurization is what kills milk anyway. I remember as a kid i loved fresh milk from my grandmother's cow, but i hated milk from the city and refused to drink it. 

Also animals help each other all the time by taking other specie's babies and feeding them with their own milk. So, it's not true that no animal will willingly drink milk from another specie. 

Cheese has been known as an aphrodisiac for centuries! Most today's cheeses are not what they used to be, but this is why it is still hard to give it up.You are lucky if you can find raw cheese ?

As it was mentioned, meat is for grounding. That's why it takes up to 3 days to digest it ?

• Upvote 1

Eating dairy is not the same as killing a cow lol.

Just as you don't need to murder a chicken to get it to lay eggs - the opposite in fact. 

Human disease (non-viral/bacterial diseases) started when we introduced grains like wheat, rice and quinoa into the neolithic diet. 

36 minutes ago, YOD said:

Eating dairy is not the same as killing a cow lol.

There's a big difference between a grieving cow and the cow that shares her milk while nursing her own baby. 

My grandmother used to keep a calf for almost a year. And then they would wait another year before having another one. In a mean time the neighbor's cow would have a calf and that's how they supported each other.

• Upvote 2

personally, i'm vegan from 8 years ago, but i think every body as different way to understand, what is the right food, for their bodies in different moments of their lives.  Some shamans, say that eating meat helps them to ground them selves. but in my case, it wouldn't work, has my body changed vibration and meat would make me feel sick and intoxicated. :)

• Upvote 3