Sign in to follow this  
Amari729

Authenticity and the fear of rejection

4 posts in this topic

I really struggle with authenticity because since I was a kid my parents thought me that it  wasn´t ok to be hwo I was. They didn´t tell me that directly but they did it in so many other submiminal ways. It wasn´t ok for me to be sick or cry or be angry or say what I felt. It wasn´t ok for me to have my own emotions. I understood where my anxiety comes from now. It´s because deep down there is the real me trying to break free from the chains and there is this other me that they thought me to be trying to prevent it to happen. So when I start breaking through I go back because the real me feels that he´s not enough. That feeling is my anxiety trying to paralize and protect me. I fear rejection because of that. I feel that people won´t like what they see and I am not enough. I´ve been trying to find myself for a while now. I see improvements and I am better already. But I struggle a lot with this.

Edited by Rui Carlos

I was trying to find another post where someone was asking a similar question or it was more about the consequences , so i hope that person sees it.

Yes, of course, being authentic means you also would have to deal with its consequences .  Including rejection. At least problems, i believe, give us some sort of movement in life. That's why you are not feeling like yourself in the first place. But you also probably have this feeling because you have experienced a contrast between the two selves , so to speak. Otherwise, in my opinion, people ARE ALWAYS THEMSELVES!!! authentic or not. It's whatever feels better.

• Upvote 1