Sign in to follow this  
AnnaJoh

Unable to stop smoking

4 posts in this topic

Unable to stop smoking

Last day, I smoked 10 cigars I think. I wonder what might happen to me, I know smoking can cause illness but I am not able to stop this. I am planning to go for a detail check up. I am really afraid. Last day I experienced bleeding in my gums and I felt little drowsy. I wonder what might it be? I had a dental implant earlier and I read this now http://www.discoverydental.com/blog/dental-implants/smoking-affect-dental-implants-discovery-dental/. I doubt whether it might be an after effect of my smoking habit. Don't get rude with me. I wish to really stop this after reading this http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/health-risks-of-smoking-tobacco. But I am not able to.

My way of quitting was quite extreme but worked very well. I stopped eating for 3 days... Because I was focused on food and how I felt in general I was not thinking about smoking at all. After those three days it quite easy to refrain from smoking. They say the first 3 days are the hardest but after that you are not physically addicted anymore, just mentally.

This also meant I ate less the two days before hand so my stomach could adjust and ate just veggies and fruits. There were a few times that I felt weak but in general I felt okay. Some fast by allowing juices in the morning.

• Upvote 2

I am new to the group and to really all of this...but definitely not new to smoking or wanting to quit!

I can tell you after all of my research and my "preparing" for quitting...these are the things that I am going to put into place so I can make the transition to "non-smoker".

1) I don't smoke in our home - I smoke in the our garage, so I am going to wash down all the garage walls with vinegar/water and get rid of the tobacco "smell" as much as possible.  I also have a little sitting area there that I am going to disassemble and put something else there, so it makes it nearly impossible (or at least very uncomfortable) to smoke.

2) Stock up on sugar-free gum, candy, mints and LOTS of bottled water!  I realize that sugar-free candy and whatnot is not an excellent replacement, but I plan for it to literally be a pacifier for me until I can mentally make the switch in my head to non-smoker.

3) Tell everyone I can that I am quitting on _______ date. (I haven't planned it yet) I am a chicken still, yes...I can admit that.  I am working on it.  This way I am held accountable and people will ask me about how quitting smoking is going.

4) When things get really bad - have a plan - What are you going to do?  Meditate?  Take a bath?  Talk to a friend?  Go for a walk?  Cook?  Read a book?  Maybe all of them, have a list of things that you can do when the cravings hit you really bad to take your mind off of it.  Because in the moment, you're not going to be able to think of one of those things!

Those are all the things that I have come up with so far... I hope it helps!  If you need someone to vent to about it, feel free to email me!