Sign in to follow this  
Kaleigh

Public Speaking & Putting Yourself Out There

4 posts in this topic

Public Speaking & Putting Yourself Out There

Have any of you had an immense fear of public speaking & or putting yourself out there (as in sharing your thoughts, feelings, ideas, creations. etc.) and did it anyway? And did it anyway as in moved into a profession / space where you do it very often? I have recently graduated a yoga teacher training and want to teach so badly but am terrified to get up there in front of people - even though I've done it before many times. I also want to share my writings but am terrified of criticism and judgement (which is inevitable). How do you work with your own physiological reactions (fear, panic, freezing, choking)? What perspective do you take? And any other insights that you are called to share, please! - Thank you 

• Upvote 2

I have been preaching and teaching for 15+ years and I still have a physical reaction, especially when i expect my audience to have a negative reaction to my message or presentation. First I have to acknowledge my feelings. Having someone to encourage and support me always helps. I once stood up in front of the Bishop, his cabinet and representatives both lay and clergy of 800 churches to advocate for expanding and connecting prison ministries throughout our state. I knew many if not most of the folks listening were more politically conservative than I. I stepped up to the microphone, opened my mouth and nothing came out! I had to step back, silently ask for help and step back up to say, "Sorry Bishop I guess I'm a little nervous." People laughed, we moved on to discuss my proposal and to my surprise it passed.

In teaching you are offering yourself as a servant to the knowledge you offer to share. You serve the light by sharing the light. Be the light! If there is conflict remind yourself that its not personal or if it is, its about them and an opportunity to heal and grow. The real question may be, what are you afraid of? Being laughed at? Laugh at yourself first! Being wrong? good you'll learn something new. Being met with anger and hostility? Good, more opportunity to heal. You can do this. Be Blessed, you are a blessing to those you serve.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pastor George said:

I have been preaching and teaching for 15+ years and I still have a physical reaction, especially when i expect my audience to have a negative reaction to my message or presentation. First I have to acknowledge my feelings. Having someone to encourage and support me always helps. I once stood up in front of the Bishop, his cabinet and representatives both lay and clergy of 800 churches to advocate for expanding and connecting prison ministries throughout our state. I knew many if not most of the folks listening were more politically conservative than I. I stepped up to the microphone, opened my mouth and nothing came out! I had to step back, silently ask for help and step back up to say, "Sorry Bishop I guess I'm a little nervous." People laughed, we moved on to discuss my proposal and to my surprise it passed.

In teaching you are offering yourself as a servant to the knowledge you offer to share. You serve the light by sharing the light. Be the light! If there is conflict remind yourself that its not personal or if it is, its about them and an opportunity to heal and grow. The real question may be, what are you afraid of? Being laughed at? Laugh at yourself first! Being wrong? good you'll learn something new. Being met with anger and hostility? Good, more opportunity to heal. You can do this. Be Blessed, you are a blessing to those you serve.

Thank you so much for this. It's comforting to know that you still have reactions before you get up in front of people. I've actually asked many different types of presenters and most of them say they still get nervous before hand.

Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I were in that situation! I'm afraid that if something like that happened to me, where I opened my mouth and nothing came out, that I'd just lose it all together and have to walk off completely - or vomit and cry. Though I have had the experience of getting more comfortable, and even enjoying being up there as I go along.

i love your perspective on being a servant as a teacher. It's 100% true! For whatever reason my mind keeps saying "who are you to teach". I have trouble remembering that  am the light and to just be the light. I throw a "how - how do i be the light?!" And that just gets in the way bc there is no how! 

I guess what I'm terrified of is sounding stupid, sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about or sounding lost. I'm afraid that what I have to teach isn't good enough even though my yoga practice saved my life. I'm afraid to make a mistake, afraid of being judged, and ultimately being viewed as bad at teaching. Really being viewed as bad in general...

This information is so helpful to me. Thank you for taking the time to respond ??❤️