Erenexus

Coming to terms with lifelong illness

3 posts in this topic

Coming to terms with lifelong illness

What would you suggest to someone in regards to coming to terms with having a painful, lifelong illness?

I have had health issues since birth, but they got to be extreme after making the choice to have a permanent medical device placed. I am allergic to it and spent years trying to convince doctors to remove it. For a long time I was told it was just ptsd from childhood trauma causing my symptoms. That led me on the path of spiritual work and healing. Eventually I lost my marriage and son due to the complications of being chronically ill. I eventually went back to the doctors when I was told having a metal allergy with this device was dangerous. Upon removal it shattered and I have had five consequent surgeries in the past two years to fix it. Throughout the whole process I started mending myself emotionally through therapy and spiritual work. But I have come to a sort of crossroads. Other than staying healthy to prevent new illness, I cannot heal from these injuries. It is beyond just a matter of pain. The remnants of the device are posing new health issues all the time. 

How do people learn to live a happy life regardless of chronic illness and pain? How do you move past the fear of not knowing what horror will come next?

I'm sorry to hear about your illnesses and struggles with that.  I can relate as I have several autoimmune diseases that cannot be cured.  I have found that without illness I would have never taken this spiritual path and would not be able to truly feel the bliss of source energy.  Most "healthy" people go through life and never know true happiness because they've never suffered.  Without having that contrast you don't respect and understand the beauty that surrounds you.  I stay focused on what I want and believe these things can happen for me.  Although I haven't been able to cure myself yet by focusing my attention on wanting to be healthy, I have been able to manifest many other wonderful things in my life.  Pain and illness forces you to be present in this moment, which is a skill most people have to work at.  I would recommend journaling about all the things you appreciate and even if there are things you don't like/want, rephrase those thoughts to make them something you do want instead.  Instead of saying I don't want to be sick, say I want to be healthy.  Simply change your life/thoughts into things you want and the universe will provide you with what you focus on.  I recommend listening to the interview of Sruti on YouTube or visiting her website srutisangha.org.  She has a similar story and discusses coping with debilitating illness/pain.  Sending healing thoughts your way! 

I do eat probiotics. I have not tried Miso yet or a Bemer mat due to my income. I will try it when I can :) never heard of a blood type diet but I will look into it thanks. I just got myself to the point of realizing I need to make serious lifestyle and diet changes. I can exercise some but was told told to start slow because I keep getting stress fractures. Doing yoga and light weight training at the moment.

I have been working on positive reinforcement, like you mentioned Kimberly. I made an "I am" poster next to my bed. Basically stating tons of positive aspects about myself, including being healthy. It does make a huge difference!

Edited by Erenexus