28 posts in this topic

In one of Teal's blogs, Another World, Another Time, which highlights her favorite childhood movie, "The Dark Crystal", she speaks of how the movie was a kind of precursor to her life purpose, and challenges us to recall our own favorite movie in childhood: 

I have talked about this a lot with my fellow community members.  It usually blows people away to think back to their favorite movie in childhood and to really dissect its metaphor and meaning for your life.  Go ahead… try it for yourself.

I came to the realization today that my own favorite childhood movie was "The Neverending Story," which rings especially true since when I was delving into the 'The Self Love Process', staring into the mirror, I immediately thought of the scariest moment of the movie (for me) aside from the Gate of the Sphinxes. When the fantasy hero, Atreyu, has to face his true self in a huge mirror, he eventually (SPOILERS) sees the 'real world' hero of the movie, Bastion as his reflection. The 'true' hero is revealed as a fragile and uncertain young boy, who is journeying with him as his constant companion, yet cannot find the self worth to realize he's affecting the entire story by observing it. Blew my mind. To me, this is a representation of Source perspective in a lot of ways. Of the ideal we hold of ourselves, the fear of the true self that horrifies us to death when we fully recognize it as anything other than our beloved avatar. In a lot of ways, the movie almost prophetically speaks to the gamer/avatar dynamic that would arise years later. It also very daftly represents the multi-dimensional lifestyle, especially for the creative minds out there. It broke my heart seven ways to Sunday.  

So how about it? What's your favorite childhood movie? 

• Upvote 2

Hey Stephanie, coming from a very abusive, neglected childhood i was never allowed to watch much tv and only watched what my mother wanted to watch if i did, I have to say that the first movie that resonated with me was the movie Frozen which i saw for the first time at the age of 32. 

I realized that i had been different all my life, saw things different, understood things in a different way from the rest of my family and always felt quite isolated and lonely my whole life. That movie finally gave me the 'right' to feel the way i do and that nothing i was forced to believe about me was ever true. It was such an empowering experience that i finally felt like it was okay to just be me.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hope_vZ said:

I realized that i had been different all my life, saw things different, understood things in a different way from the rest of my family and always felt quite isolated and lonely my whole life. That movie finally gave me the 'right' to feel the way i do and that nothing i was forced to believe about me was ever true. It was such an empowering experience that i finally felt like it was okay to just be me.

@Hope_vZ I have the feeling you've had to watch more soap operas than I have, or glory forbid... Sally Jesse Raphael. But you're stronger for it! Thankfully, I got to run the media in my house for 'Her Majesty,' my mother. It was a very co-dependent relationship, as I was the caretaker of a pet hoarder, and !!!!!. 

I resonate with that awful experience that feels like living in an aquarium where you're looking out, swimming around idly, but never fed. :( You know, I still haven't seen 'Frozen'! I watched the episodes of 'Once Upon a Time' with the characters featured, but it probably isn't quite the same thing. I'm glad you were able to have a perfect moment in the now to realize the freedom of being who you are, and feeling like you feel as justified. Experiencing who you actually feel you are, and knowing it's alright is one of the best emotions ever. It must be time to explore the second coming of our childhoods... like a boss. ;) 

And yes... I do want to build a snowman! And make snow angels! 

• Upvote 2

oh what a wonderful topic <3

the Neverending story was one of my favourites too, but the book is even better! (i recommend it to you Stephanie, its awesome, the author is Michael Ende i bet there are translations to be found!)

Frozen touched me too but like Stephanie, i had access to enough stories as a child, so that i buried myself in them and escaped into books and movies from reality.

my absolute favourite has always been and will always be, "The last unicorn"... of course i identified with lady Amalthea (the unicorn) who went on a mission to find the other unicorns. on the way she is captured and held in a small cage as a show, but a witch has to charm her with an illusion of a false horn because people dont see true magic anymore. then a magicians apprentice frees her, she frees a harpy that is her sister in spirit, which kills the witch, and they continue together, get captured by bandits and take the bandit bosses wife with them to the place where a red bull tries to drive the unicorn into the sea where all the other captured unicorns are, hoarded there for king Haggards pleasure. under his reign the land has been sucked dry of all life. the only way to get to him and find out what happened to the unicorns is with magic, and the magicians apprentice for the first time manifests true magic: he turns the unicorn into a human, a girl they present to the king as lady amalthea. they stay at his castle and eventually Amalthea forgets that she ever was a unicorn, immortal, she falls in love with the adopted prince, but she has to free the unicorns and her two companions remind her of that and find a way to the scary red bull. they all together go into his lair and she is turned into a unicorn again and when the prince dies, she is determined to defeat the bull and so frees the unicorns. with her magic she revives the prince, but lives henceforth as a unicorn  that unlike the others had learned about sorrow, suffering, grief, love, and mortality.

when i was older, 18 i guess, i started reading the neverending story as a book and from the same author there is one called "Momo" (they made a movie of it in the 80es too) that i read then for the first time. if i had seen this as a kid, i wouldnt have been able to tell which one is the one, but they have the same underlying theme i guess. instead of unicorns, Momo frees all the frozen time that has been taken from people by the grey cigar smoking men that make a living of convincing people to "save time". this is a story i would advise everyone to read or at least watch too, if all people knew that story, the world would be a totally different place!

• Upvote 1

and then there was "Legend" with Tom Cruise from 1985, i watched it when i was... 17? but it totally made sense too for me to be totally fascinated by it and identify with princess Lily and Jack at the same time, it just mirrored to me what had happened in childhood that i had forgotten and how to start resolving it.

and of course "rise of the guardians" about Santa, the Tooth-fairy, Sandman, Easter-bunny... and JACK FROST :D that would be totally me too. noone knows of him, noone sees him, noone believes in him, but he is the one with the idea of how to deal with the shadow and so does the work... and he is having fun on the way!

oh i could go so much further with this list (if my browser only wouldnt freeze when a post gets long...), there are so many stories that mirror different aspects of life... for that i love fairytales, do you know the book "Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes? i recommend that highly too, the author gathered fairytales from around the world and explains some Jungian psychology and archetypal connections together with quite shamanic views on things with the stories. great lecture to find out about some patterns that especially women can get entrapped in.

Edited by Lilia

Gosh, it took me a while to remember my favorite childhood movies. But now I'm sure to say that Disney's treatise of Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame where two of them. Well, I'm not sure how to interpret this realization yet.
Maybe I resonate with the main topic of taking on the function of a window to another perspective or a bridge between two different worlds to unite them? To provoke more understanding and harmony between the extremes maybe? ;) —Ha, what a lovely thought!

And the Last Unicorn of course. What a beautiful magical mesmerizing and strong movie. Love it to death. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Lilia said:

he Neverending story was one of my favourites too, but the book is even better! (i recommend it to you Stephanie, its awesome, the author is Michael Ende i bet there are translations to be found!)

@Lilia I can't wait to read it! I gifted it to my sister in my younger days, but I should gift it to myself! I just remember phrases and words forever, if it's in story form, so if I didn't write it, or develop it, I probably haven't read it recently. ;) 

The Last Unicorn I saw far too young. I was (like most little girls, I sure) enamored with unicorns, so my mother let me 'rent' it at the video store (man, those days). The vocal performance by Sissy Spacek just stuck with me, the red bull imagery stuck with me, the unicorns running from the fire stuck with me. Haunting images. I honestly don't know if I could do it again now,lol. Triggers ahoy! I'll never forget the sense of sadness that movie engrained in me, the idea of being used, locked away, feeling scared, powerless, then ultimately loveless, yet loving from afar. BIG concepts for a little girl, but I understood them all, and when I would want to discuss my feelings on really deep subjects (especially if they clashed with the more christian mindset, which my mother had though she let me watch 'secular' things if there was a 'good vs evil' dynamic, and I could pitch it well enough), that just didn't happen well enough. I was too multi-line dimensional, and had too many perspectives I'd absorbed via the subject matter. It's like I was playing chess with someone who could only play checkers. It was really upsetting to me as a child. 

17 hours ago, Lilia said:

do you know the book "Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes? i recommend that highly too, the author gathered fairytales from around the world and explains some Jungian psychology and archetypal connections together with quite shamanic views on things with the stories. great lecture to find out about some patterns that especially women can get entrapped in.

I don't know this book, but I want to. I'm drawn to the concept you've presented for sure! Sounds delicious. 

As far as Legend goes, what a movie. I don't even really remember it story-wise, I wasn't really that into it because I didn't connect with the characters as much as I had with other movies. Plus, it was Tom Cruise who was in like everything in the 80's, and I just didn't see him as a fantasy hero-type. Oh, yay the storm outside my house is 1-8,000's away. Love it. It's really a night to watch The Labyrinth, lol. Now that was the movie I thought might be my fave as a kid. But nope. Definitely Neverending story. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Siona de Stellis said:

Gosh, it took me a while to remember my favorite childhood movies. But now I'm sure to say that Disney's treatise of Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame where two of them. Well, I'm not sure how to interpret this realization yet.
Maybe I resonate with the main topic of taking on the function of a window to another perspective or a bridge between two different worlds to unite them? To provoke more understanding and harmony between the extremes maybe? ;) —Ha, what a lovely thought!

And the Last Unicorn of course. What a beautiful magical mesmerizing and strong movie. Love it to death. 

Hi @Siona de Stellis! I like the idea of bridging the gap for a widow to meet another realm! That's a really great take on the feelings of those stories. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ana said:

@Stephanie Wintermute That is my favorite movie too :) and @Lilia I fully agree, the book is amazing and even better than the movie. Michael Ende has another great book that I am currently reading, called Momo. 

@Siona de Stellis you reminded me I have the Last Unicorn's book and never finished it. I might soon. I think I will download the movie, which I never watched either.

@Hope_vZ I'm glad you feel it's ok to be you. That's all you need and that's what we all need too.

Our favorite movies, books and things are reminders of who we truly are, by similarity or contrast. Everything in the Universe can brings us home at any moment.

@Ana That's really cool. It's such a resource for the spiritual condition with that kind of dynamic twist on the hero's journey (imo). The more I think about it, the more I want to write my own stories again, and present my own artistic 'offering,' which speaks volumes to its influence upon my life. Right on. :yin-yang-yahoo-emoticon::star-yahoo-emoticon:

• Upvote 1

Star Wars! The part where it's mention that Luke is always looking at the stars...yep, I was right at home! As for the Force and intuition, telepathy etc etc...it was like WT?! Right at home!?

• Upvote 3

For me it was Beauty and the Beast. I grew up in a small and poorly educated town like Belle and always felt like an outsider. Belle was a curious and wandering spirit. In a world telling her to judge, she chose to wonder. The Beast initially takes advantage of Belle's kindness and love for her father and her beauty, which I could relate to, but slowly, over time, sees the Beauty in the Beast and sees how they are one and the same, just opposite ends of the polarity. She saw the love and compassion in him - it was his desire for love motivating his actions just as it was Belle's love motivating her actions. These were both people who lived from the heart in a world where it was discouraged. The beast was hidden and locked away from society, seen as a curse and something to be feared. Just as the sexual abuse I experienced as a very small child was swept under the rug. The beast eventually feels hopeless and unloveable - my shadow aspect. It is the power of the love and integrity between the two that lifts the curse. And even though I'm not enitrely sure about my life's purpose, I think it has something to do with showing people the power of love and beauty. To bring more compassion into the world and to heal.

• Upvote 2