Garnet

Not a spiritual question :)

10 posts in this topic

Not a spiritual question :)

I've been attempting to transfer files from my phone  to pc for 3 days now! I've use USB cable in the past with my old phone and never had a problem! What's going on with these new models? do i really need to buy an app for that? I installed one as a trial and it didn't recognize my phone!

Please help! My memory is almost full! My photos are like tarot cards for me!

I am frustrated. Do we have a computer genius within the Tribe? 

Appreciate any help

Blessings 

Hey Garnet, I do not know which brand you are using but I think there should not be a problem with a usb cable. Did you change the mode of your phone to storage media? Is there this kind of choice in your settings? If this does not work you may try dropbox. Do you know dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/)? It is free and you can upload from your phone then download to your PC .  

@duygu_s thank you!

yes, i know about dropbox but at this point i have 2500 photos +videos... and i think there's a limit there.

the problem  is that my pc doesn't install all the drivers i need, the message keeps popping "unable to install drivers for Windows "

I am aware that you might have already checked some of the causes and options, but it is a habit of me to begin with basics. Do you have any problems with other devices or just your phone? If yes, then it is related with windows .  There are ways to tackle this, but since I did not try them myself, it is not appropriate for me to recomend.  If no, then I do have nothing to say especially if it is done for the application. For Dropbox, it offers extra storage up to 50 gb or something for some brands freely.  It is not the shortcut but it can be the last resort. :) There may be a more knowledgable member around who can help :)

I'm guessing its a iPhone? I don't have one of those so can't help you with that one :it-wasnt-me-yahoo-emoticon:. if it uses a microSD it should just transfer over, try another usb port if nothing shows up.

Edited by Alex7

@Alex7 i have Android! i don't know if it has microSD card inside... good idea. I need to check that. I'll try different port tomorrow. Thanks !

@duygu_s yes, the problem is only with my phone... i don't like the idea of dropbox tbh... so  yes, it's going to be my last resort. Thank you!

You can try different cables - sometimes the cables are different even if they look the same. You could probably fiddle with some settings to get the cable to work, but I get the impression that fiddling with settings is not for you. If you have a microSD and adapter and a port to plug it into your computer, then this is a solid and fast method.

You can also use an FTP server; simply search for FTP in the app store. It will create a bridge between your phone and computer using a Wi-Fi connection so you can access your phone files on your computer. Simple activate the app then type into Windows Explorer address bar the exact IP address that the app shows you.

Dropbox or anything similar would be a hassle and very slow and I wouldn't bother.

I'd definitely get into the dropbox thing BUT also a NAS.  a sort of wireless storage thingy.  it's amazing stuff.

You could also try using image hosting sites such as pimpandhost imgur, etc.  There you can also download them from there to whatever thing you are now currently using.  plus, it also keeps things safe in a sort of cyber space so you can always find them.  lol..  But yeah, I hope it all works out for you.  Alot of this stuff can be complicated, and i completely agree on that point.  it's only easy when you're more in the know and tech savvy, etc.  but NOW is always a good time to get more informed!

Oh, Imageshack is also a good one!

Edited by AbsoluteWave

@Kroge @AbsoluteWave thank you for the suggestions! i am still working on it... I think my problem is in my PC. And the drivers. I did system update/ took it back to the earlier time/removed  cookies/ etc.  It doesn't recognize my phone - when i open the folder, it's empty!

In your Android settings there may be some "Developer Options" and one of them may be "USB debugging" or something else. You can try playing with those settings.