boxofrain

Thoughts on water? Sources, purification, etc.

20 posts in this topic

Hey, do any of you use filters or alternative sources to the municipal supply? I'm interested in the subject of improving the quality of water. From my (limited) understanding and from what I've taken in from people who I respect and seem knowledgeable on the subject, if we're wanting to increase our overall health and well-being, then staying fully hydrated and using a high quality source of water is very important. 

Some areas obviously have decent quality of water, and others quite poor. It seems like as long as you're not drinking like direct spring water or well water, even if your water quality is decent, it still isn't necessarily GOOD for you. (relative to clean nutritional water, anyway) and that it's filled with all sorts of nasties. I've heard spring water is some of the best you can get, though it doesn't seem particularly practical to me to live off bottled water. What I'd like is to get a reverse osmosis system to hook up under the sink at least for my regular drinking water. 

I do keep in mind that water quality, especially among spiritual communities can be a subject of heavy bro-science and conspiracy theories so I take most of the suspicions I've collected with a grain of salt, but I do think it is true that the water most people drink is sub par and has major implications on well-being. 

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts, processes and any of your own knowledge on water relative to the subject of health. 
please share :)

• Upvote 3

Just yesterday I was shopping online for Fluoride-removing shower filters. And I too hate when people try to Bro-Science or Spirit-Science stuff, I find it extremely distasteful as I have a traditional university education in Chemistry and Nutrition. 

Reverse Osmosis is the gold standard of water-purification, but it is relatively expensive and finding "good" drinking water is easier than finding clean showering/bathing water. 

Here's what I learned for anyone that is connected to an urban water-supply (which is Fluoridate and Chlorinated.)

-Removing Fluoride is EXTREMELY Difficult and most water-filers that claim to do so can't. 
-The MOST effective way of removing Fluorine is Bone Char (not a Vegan product)
-
Charcoal can remove Chlorine, but not Fluoride. Bone Char can remove both. 
-Copper can react with Fluorine creating a chemical compound that gets stuck in the filter or does not absorb through the skin.
-Liquid Fluorine CAN be absorbed through the skin, Liquid Chlorine isn't.
-but Gaseous/Vapor Chlorine is more of a concern than Fluoride. And if your shower creates a "steam" or "mist" that's Chlorine Gas you're breathing in. 
-Purchase Pool-Testing strips to test your shower-water/drinking-water before and after. These Pool-Testing strips are extremely cheap and can tell you a lot of useful information so you're not just "Guessing" that your water is heavily-chlorinated. You can actually check.  
-Iodine (Lugol's Iodine which is sold as a health supplement) can be added to your water to displace BOTH CHLORINE AND FLUORINE. Iodine belongs to a class of Elements known as Halogens and Halogens displace each other in the body.
-The 4 Halogens are Iodine, Chlorine, Fluorine and Bromine. Almost all Bread in the Western World is Brominated. Almost all Water in the Western World is Chlorinated and Fluoridated. Take Iodine to reduce your body levels of these toxic Halogens. 
-Fluoride Toothpaste is fine though, just don't swallow it. 

I found this shower-filter that seems to actually work and satisfied every "requirement" I had in a : http://www.healthilluminationproducts.com/showerfilter

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, YOD said:

-Fluoride Toothpaste is fine though, just don't swallow it.

I worry about fluoride being absorbed through the capillaries in my gums. Should I not?

5 hours ago, Tammy said:

won't affect us as badly if we were less aware or unaware all together. Who knows?

This is such a good question. It deserves to be a topic.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Akurabis said:

I worry about fluoride being absorbed through the capillaries in my gums. Should I not?

@Akurabis

Good question. I think it's something I can shed light on for those worried about Fluoride Toothpaste.

1. The Fluoride in toothpaste is actually a FLUORIDE-ION (not Fluorine.) Free-fluorine is extremely reactive. Ionic compounds like Fluoride can not be absorbed through the gums or sublingually (underneath the tongue.)

However...there is a situation in which you could absorb the Fluoride in your toothpaste without swallowing it...GINGIVITIS.

If you brush and your gums bleed, DO NOT USE FLUORIDE TOOTHPASTE UNTIL YOUR GUMS HAVE HEALED. Switch to a company like Tom's of Maine that offers No-Fluoride toothpaste. If you have Gingivitis, rinse with 2% Lugol's Iodine everyday and the infection should clear up in under a week. 

2. Hydroxyapaptite (the stuff your teeth are made from) can use Calcium, Chlorine or Fluorine to create the dentin in your teeth. Both Calcium and Fluorine create strong, white-colored teeth. Chlorine is not something you want in the chemical-structure of your teeth. Unlike radioactive elements like Strontium or Chlorine, your body actually recognizes Fluorine (in very small amounts) as a normal part of bone.

When people say that Fluorine/Fluoride has no reason to be in the human body, they're incorrect or lying. However, its role is extremely limited and it is possible to get too much fluorine through toothpaste and water. 

3. BRUSH DRY & DO NOT SWALLOW EVEN SMALL AMOUNTS OF TOOTPASTE

(Do not wet your toothbrush). Spit out the remainder and then rinse with water. If you've ever had toothpaste in your mouth and then swished water, you'll know that classic "burn" in your mouth - this is hydrofluoric acid being created which can be absorbed through the skin and instantly damages cells.  Swallowing even small amounts of Fluoridated-toothpaste can be lethal (hence the warning on all toothpaste). The reason is that it forms dangerous Hydrofluoric Acid inside your body when it reacts to stomach-acid. The formula for that chemical reaction is:

2 H2O + F2 = --> 2HF(aq) + O2

HF(aqueous) = HYDRO-FLUORIC ACID

4. Extra fluoride is excreted by the kidneys, but slowly.  

5. There are Anti-Depressants (SSRI drugs) in your water!!! 

Prozac (Fluoxetine) is a Fluoride-based chemical compound. Seeing as water-treatment plants do not filter Fluorine and prozac is a fluoride-compound, I'm almost certain that Prozac is present in our water-supply. 

It makes you wonder why pharmaceutical companies created an Anti-Depressant based off Fluorine anyway...Intentional or otherwise, do not drink tap water - it's disgusting and unhealthy.

• Upvote 4

I've been using fluoride free toothpaste for 3 years now and awhile back i had to get regular one like Colgate. My teeth had become very sensitive withing 2 weeks and i could not eat much fruit. 

Also a lot of little kids have huge problems with their teeth today, even before they  start changing. I think fluoride toothpaste  is definitely not for them. 

I like Kiss My Face toothpastes   the best and Nature's Gate if i can't find the first one ?

• Upvote 2

We rent, so Reverse Osmosis is not an option. Could someone please tell me which water filters are you using  or have used in the past that you like?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I have NO idea where to find a good drinking source... I do not want to buy bottled water due to the plastic toxicity, and I don't really think you can buy water from glas source or other container, so I'm feeling pretty clueless at this.

The best tip I can give is eat lots of juicy fruit, especially watermelon!! Great way to stay hydrated, and a healthy tasty meal as well! I LOVE my watermelons :D 

• Upvote 4

As per 'water the great mystery' that teal mentioned in her book...i have started Mozart symphonies on drinking water. 1st day when i tasted....it was sweet

• Upvote 1

I do have a filter for the shower, not when I brush my teeth though, just normal dirty water from the sink lol. I drink alkaline water, it is more, like $7.50 for 5 gallons, but its the best. I cook with spring water.

Edited by Alex7
  • Upvote 2

Living in a rural area we rely on rain water for everything. We are lucky to have very high rainfall, up to 6 mtrs on a good year. We have black poly tanks, they are never less than 40% empty. I can no longer drink town water. Is this form of storage acceptable. My health has improved in the last 18 months since we have lived here.