Rahul Johar

Need some serious career/college advice.

4 posts in this topic

Need some serious career/college advice.

So I passed 12th a few months ago and since then i've done an online course for personal training and  I got my certificate today (89%). In a few months i'm leaving the country I currently live in and i'm moving to Canada for college and i'm probably going to do something like human resources (I guess? My mom said that it'll help me with my personal training but I don't know much about it) and be a personal trainer at some gym since i'm already passionate about fitness. The thing is I also started learning the guitar a couple months ago and I'm absolutely in love with it, even though I'm still a beginner and have a lot to learn, I practice for hours everyday and I'm already dreaming of joining a band once I learn it and playing in front of audiences at clubs and stuff. So i'm kind of confused about what to do here..I know what I like but my mind's cluttered, I've got the whole gym thing on one hand and the joining a band dream on the other, and also college which i'm told will help me with my goals but I don't have a lot of information about how it will help. Right now my plan is that i'll start college and find a job as a personal trainer on the side while continuing to develop my guitar skills, afterwhich I can maybe find a band that needs a guitarist and make it my priority and the personal training thing on the side..but idk. I'd rather die than have to do something I hate, like deliver pizzas or some other "job" like that, and my mom is on the same page, she doesn't want that for me either (she's really cool, she even likes Teals material about parents) but she still thinks college will help. Literally any advice would be appreciated.  

Edited by Rahul Johar

Dear Rahul, 

If you plan your time wisely you can do all you want but you need to prioritize. If you dive deep in all of that at the same time, things might become messy. Set a goal, plan well and take action. If you like fitness why do not you look at departments dealing with sports science and nutrition? You may as well specialize in one topic make it your marketing plus. You can add human resources or any other field afterwards as a master or vice versa. I suggest you to find a field related with what you love and then talk with the professors or teaching asistants for learning about job opportunities and other benefits.  

• Upvote 1

Hi Rahul,

It think it is very awesome that you already found two things in life that you are passionate about, it is the thing that makes you get up in the morning and enjoy what you are doing every day. Therefore I don't think you can wrong with the subjects that you choose; yes maybe in a few years you realize that you were better off doing a course in human physiology instead of human resources (just giving an example), but if you are passionate about something (personal training in your case) you will make sure that you learn what you need to learn, either in college or outside college. I think that one of the best traits that a personal trainer can have is that he is passionate and whether you colour that through human resources, nutrition or whatever subject you choose should reflect what excites you the most, because you will be the most passionate about that.

Duyguy_s gives solid advice on talking to teachers!

Good luck

• Upvote 1