Canela

Virtual Reality and Spiritual Growth

33 posts in this topic

to me technology, or better the internet, is a great tool to connect and share information and even expand my spirituality by making it easier to find people to connect with. it is though developing into a direction where i think people do have to develop an ability to balance the virtual and the "real" outdoor life more healthily. use the technology and not feed it, sort of. using it as a tool and a crutch for developing that sense of natural connection, and not replace it with staring into screens only.

• Upvote 2

I guess after all we are all on this site and communicating through technology.  I am just wondering if the new platform of VR will totally immerse some people.  

VR and it's appeal are quite interesting. Essentially a copy of what we already have, but giving us greater freedom of manifestation. However, this freedom is an illusion which we buy into for entertainment purposes. It's like how a new game is so much fun, but after a while, one starts to see it's flaws, how it is limited by it's set parameters. Some people are happy to live within artificial limitations. Overall, I think it is harmful, yes. It is an extra degree of separation from Reality.

Edited by Akurabis
  • Upvote 2

Hi Ana! Thank you...it means cinnamon in Greek also!  My grandmother's name.  I hope you are right. That is a great way of looking at it. 

On 15/06/2016 at 9:30 AM, Jan_A said:

Technology tends to become a crutch for humanity to lean on and forget their natural abilities

https://youtu.be/TO6cSOVy5mU

This video it gives us a preview about what technology can represent in the future.

I have no special atachment to this video, nor i believe this is going to hapen or not but i would  like to here opinions on it. 

Peace & Love 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ana said:

What is Reality...?

Hi Ana :)

I'm making a distinction between Reality and reality. The origin or source, and it's manifestation. Atman and maya.

Just now, Ana said:

Do you think Reality is separated from reality?

Hello again Ana :)

What a great question. What do you mean by separated?

Everything is separate from everything, but all is part of the same universe (and that's only the most fundamental of similarities between anything and anything).

The Absolute is indeed separated from it's manifestation, by degrees or hypostases. The Absolute denotes perfection, and perfection requires such a thing as quality, which requires the existence of quantity, and so on.

Oh no I'm digressing :S

Did you mean something more along the lines of mind/body dualism?

43 minutes ago, Ana said:

I asked because I do not think anything is separated from anything. I think all things exist in a context which necessarily implies relatedness. Out of this context, nothing can be really known or perhaps even exists; it can just be speculated about, imagined, projected upon.

As I see it, if the Absolute were separated from its manifestation(s) you wouldn't have it in you. On the other hand, I don't believe in absolutes. Even an absolute can only be called such if related to something else. Mindwise, we will always reach a paradox and go in circles. Samsara...? :) 

I perfectly agree with everything you've said. We will always reach a paradox and go in circles.. until an extra dimension is added. The theoretical point at the centre of the circle is inexpressible in the same dimensions as the circle. Imagining the impetus for all manifestation, that which is throughout all creation, we can go toward it; the inward journey, so to speak.

VR I believe would tend to lead people outward, more than anything.

2 minutes ago, Akurabis said:

VR I believe would tend to lead people outward, more than anything.

It's like yes and no...

To me it looks like a step to expanding our abilities as well.

Check out this cool tech : http://emotiv.com/

• Upvote 1

I think it's going to be absolutely amazing once things like this will be able to read music in our head, and output it. Stuff like that will be wonderful.

• Upvote 1