badbananacat

Problem about high school

15 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a problem about high school, that I hope someone could give me some perspective or advice on.

I started high school about 3-4 months ago and I feel really tired of it. I feel no motivation in class and even though I have a group of friends to talk to I feel very alone and like no one really cares about me. I always do a lot of small-talk, but I feel like it's very fake and like I can't be myself. We always do the exact same things at school and I feel like it's blocking my creativity. And then when I come home I just binge-watch a lot of "spirituality" and "new age" youtube-videos before having to do all my homework. I almost always cry at night and I feel really frustrated. I've tried talking to my mom about it and she listens to me, but I don't always feel like she really understands what I'm feeling. She has suggested that I should look at alternatives to high school (other forms of youth education), but I can't seem to find any that interests me or that sounds better than high school. So I basically feel very trapped.

I don't know what to do about all of this. Sometimes I feel like I should just push through with it, but when I'm in class I always daydream of how much better my life could be if I wasn't stuck like this. Can anybody help me, please?

• Upvote 6

school is very good at teaching you to do things you don't want to do. elementary, then middle, then higher school, then college and when you reach college having never questioned anything you become sort of a politically correct person doing exactly what you were taught, not what you wanted to learn all on your own. not all people of course, but going to school does affect you, in a good and bad way. when you are in school it becomes your life and your problems are school problems and feel very real to you, but when you are in the real world, school is just a very small part of your life. you can learn what YOU want to learn right now and actually thrive in that subject, whatever it is you love. just know that school and the problems there is a small part of life. you have the internet and if you're connecting to your intuition you can discern which information is true or false. we were taught Columbus discovered America, but it was already discovered... and kids were taught that... I don't know if they still are, but im saying you don't need school to educate yourself. 

Edited by Alex7
  • Upvote 4

thank you so much for your reply... I have exactly the same thoughts about school and I think it's also part of why I've become so tired of it. teachers teach us the same crap over and over again and I feel like a lot of it is propoganda. not to mention how we always have to strive to get the best grades and then forget all about what we've "learned" when we've passed the test...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, badbananacat said:

Hello. I have a problem about high school, that I hope someone could give me some perspective or advice on.

I started high school about 3-4 months ago and I feel really tired of it. I feel no motivation in class and even though I have a group of friends to talk to I feel very alone and like no one really cares about me. I always do a lot of small-talk, but I feel like it's very fake and like I can't be myself. We always do the exact same things at school and I feel like it's blocking my creativity. And then when I come home I just binge-watch a lot of "spirituality" and "new age" youtube-videos before having to do all my homework. I almost always cry at night and I feel really frustrated. I've tried talking to my mom about it and she listens to me, but I don't always feel like she really understands what I'm feeling. She has suggested that I should look at alternatives to high school (other forms of youth education), but I can't seem to find any that interests me or that sounds better than high school. So I basically feel very trapped.

I don't know what to do about all of this. Sometimes I feel like I should just push through with it, but when I'm in class I always daydream of how much better my life could be if I wasn't stuck like this. Can anybody help me, please?

I am in the same situation (11th grade). High school is not a good environment for learning (for me at least). I've been dealing with medical issues through. I've also binge watch spiritual videos but I know I'm just escaping all the time. 

Youre not the only one who feels this way. Enough students are being negatively effected from this system that i believe it will have to change soon. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a solution besides dropping out, which won't "fit" in with the society we have. I wish I could give you answers, my freind

4 hours ago, Alex7 said:

, but im saying you don't need school to educate yourself. 

Hit the nail on the head

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, badbananacat said:

what do you mean? an intention and goal for school? 

Think about the life you want, set a goal (point of focus) and an intention (kind of like boundaries for an experience to manifest) then follow your joy. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, nuia said:

Think about the life you want, set a goal (point of focus) and an intention (kind of like boundaries for an experience to manifest) then follow your joy. 

oh okay, thank you:) 

Hey, another 11th grader here! I know exactly what you mean; the small talk, feeling fake, I used to basically do the same thing with the youtube videos. I started getting into spirituality just before starting high school and honestly it hasn't been easy. I think the most important thing you should know is that you are not alone. Feeling like you are all alone and are unable to find people who understand you is one of the most painful feelings, I know. (Heck, I still struggle with this.) But we are out here. I've come to realize that being in this situation where I feel like an outcast and trapped has ultimately helped me. Negative circumstances in life serve that purpose, they force you to change your perspective and examine what you want in life. Isn't that how most people get into spirituality? They are pressed to find a higher perspective on life because of negative situations. And yeah, high school sucks sometimes, but it will not last forever.

There are days in school when I tell myself "ok, this day will be good. Good things are going to happen if I follow what makes me happy". And surprisingly enough, things go ok. What you focus on is tremendously powerful. Sure, sometimes it feels like the world is going to end, but that is just one perspective. When things get difficult, try to focus on a more objective perspective. Despite everything, life goes on.

And another thing, follow what makes you happy. I'm sure you've heard of this concept before, but emotions serve as a compass to direct you in the path that's meant for you. Life is a reflection of your inner beliefs, so if you convince yourself that high school will be terrible, it might will be.

I know the people around you may feel fake, but believe me nobody has it figured out. I think we're all kind of lost and sad and wish to talk about deep things with others, but are afraid to. 

I hope this helps you

• Upvote 2

On November 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Alex7 said:

, but im saying you don't need school to educate yourself. 

Hit the nail on the head

@Bea @badbananacat I know it can feel like you are alone if you're not seeing any evidence that says otherwise. I feel this way frequently. But don't forget that you took the initiative to be honest about it here with people. The fact that you took your situation into your own hand, even if it's just posting on a forum, is something to be proud of. 

• Upvote 3

I think society as a whole has to stop shaming people who drop out of school to follow a different path. It is not the only option and nobody should be thought of as lazy or a failure for wanting to do something different.

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Rosalie said:

I think society as a whole has to stop shaming people who drop out of school to follow a different path. It is not the only option and nobody should be thought of as lazy or a failure for wanting to do something different.

Thank you for replying. Exactly!! But it seems like everyone I talk to about it has been brainwashed to think that taking an education is the one and only way to "succeed" in life... 

• Upvote 3

I did online school in highschool and I got all of my schoolwork done in 2 weeks, and was free to go about doing everything else I wanted, which was really nice. If that's an option for you and it feels good, go for it! I hated school so much, I barely passed and I skipped about a 3rd of it, I literally only passed because I had a counselor who really wanted me to. She agreed with me that school was bullshit, which really validated me and helped me to feel understood and she gave me the option to do alternative highschool in order to pass. The school system that we have in America today is so broken, it's 100% an indoctrination program to teach us how to be good workers for corporations. It's gross.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, lightworker said:

I did online school in highschool and I got all of my schoolwork done in 2 weeks, and was free to go about doing everything else I wanted, which was really nice. If that's an option for you and it feels good, go for it! I hated school so much, I barely passed and I skipped about a 3rd of it, I literally only passed because I had a counselor who really wanted me to. She agreed with me that school was bullshit, which really validated me and helped me to feel understood and she gave me the option to do alternative highschool in order to pass. The school system that we have in America today is so broken, it's 100% an indoctrination program to teach us how to be good workers for corporations. It's gross.

Omg I would really love to do that, but unfortunately I don't think we have that kind of thing here (I'm from Denmark) :(... 

14 hours ago, badbananacat said:

Omg I would really love to do that, but unfortunately I don't think we have that kind of thing here (I'm from Denmark) :(... 

If you want to try online school it doesn't need to be local to you, I don't think so anyway. You can graduate with a normal high school diploma and get support from teachers through email or on the phone. There's one that I tried once, called SelfDesign, that's a little more alternative and flexible with the curriculum, but it might be only available in Canada (where I live).

It sucks that you're having so much trouble. I thought Denmark was supposed to be better than us with this kind of thing! :(

• Upvote 1