Tessa Rae

"Fake it till you make it?"

16 posts in this topic

Knowing this universe operates by Law Of Attraction, does the saying, 'fake it till you make it' have any merit? 

If I want to be something I haven't been in the past, would it help to try and 'fake' like I am that thing until it's real? Or would it be inauthentic?

Looking forward to hear your responses ;):P 

• Upvote 3

Faking is fake. It does feel good to the body!!! Just imagine a child trying to eat a broccoli with a fake smile. I guarantee there is a great chance that the child will hate broccoli till the rest of his life instead of loving it!

I think it takes a totally different approach to line up yourself with you want. It's more like trying different clothes on and see if we like them or not. So, if we take the same child and put him in a cooking game where he is a chef trying broccoli to make sure it's ready for a customer - he will most likely try it without hateful feelings. This creates completely different emotional  experience for your body which aligns you vibrationally with what is wanted. And as we all know to align yourself with what we want we have to be a match to it :)

• Upvote 2

I mean if you keep going towards the thing you want to become eventually you will be there, like at what point do people start to say I'm a dancer, I'm a writer, I'm a singer, whatever it is, when do people start to use that label on themselves? you can say I love to dance/write/sing, but when is that moment where other people see you as these things? I personally love peoples perspectives on top of the thing they do, like if I love someone's perspective I want to see their art how they write, all of these things because they are interesting to me, and all  the people are just expressing themselves fully and being authentic, expressing real things that have happened to them, and its their perspective that is interesting, shitty experiences and all.

Edited by Alex7
  • Upvote 1

fake it until you make it could be a good thing in certain situations I think.

If you are so angry that you wanne see the world burn, but you see that this is unhealthy for you and the world. Then faking/play pretend that you love the things that made/make you angry can give way to love itself en the faking can transform in to reality. if that makes sense. Then its a good thing right?

Good question!

I think its ok if no one is getting affected and you have the intention to say the truth and reveal the game plan afterwards. 

Moreover, there are people who succeed that way because that is their core nature astrologically and they have learned that honesty doesnt always pay

While we can't lie to ourselves, the "fake it till you make it" approach can absolutely work.  It is powerful!  Try it.  You'll be surprised.  I think in LOA circles they say, "act as if."

• Downvote 1

I think it can be inauthentic in some cases. When we try to fit ourselves into something that organically we aren't fitting into, we may potentially be overlooking or bypassing the root of the problem. For example, if we try to fake confidence until it becomes habit, it may end up being nothing more than a habit instead of a genuine, organic way of being. Getting to the root of WHY we don't already feel that way would produce better results because it addresses the wound and thus naturally becomes our way of being, absent of resistance. 

On 11/16/2016 at 1:43 AM, springhaze86 said:

I think it can be inauthentic in some cases. When we try to fit ourselves into something that organically we aren't fitting into, we may potentially be overlooking or bypassing the root of the problem. For example, if we try to fake confidence until it becomes habit, it may end up being nothing more than a habit instead of a genuine, organic way of being. Getting to the root of WHY we don't already feel that way would produce better results because it addresses the wound and thus naturally becomes our way of being, absent of resistance. 

In my personal lexicon, I've actually replaced "fake it 'til you make it" with OSHO's "acting is a great first step". I thoroughly enjoy the second phase of his dynamic meditation!

• Upvote 1

We learn new roles and skills by watching others and imitating them. That's one of the roles of play in children, trying on new roles and developing new skills by imitation. In business its called apprentice ship, shadowing or mentoring. In the medical field they say, hear one, see one, do one, teach one. Then we can go on to practice those roles and skills that we want to become part of who we are.

• Upvote 2

I think it's just another way of saying "Postive focus", I think if the focus feels fake, then you know it's not working for you.

If you're actually dying inside and you put on a fake smile and go about your day pretending you're super happy and positive because that's how you would like to be, that'd definitely be detrimental. It's inauthentic, it wouldn't let people see who you really are and would be the same as repressing your pain.

When it comes to body, have tried changing my posture many times to a 'more confident' one. I noticed it works for like 5 seconds until the body naturally falls back to match what you feel. However! one time, somebody told me "to be a dancer all you need to do is believe you are a dancer". After that I spent two days believeing I 'was a dancer' and I imagined how a dancer would carry their body, I imagined they would pay attention to their body over everything else, how they'd place their feet, I never felt more connected to my body than I did in those days. I couldn't carry the belief for longer, because I didn't start dance clases as I intended to, but I do realise now that all I was doing was placing focus on my body

The first one would feel fake and forced, the second one felt more like a game, but I was genuinely feeling my body and enjoying it, so I think that's the difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/12/2016 at 8:55 PM, Tessa Rae said:

Knowing this universe operates by Law Of Attraction, does the saying, 'fake it till you make it' have any merit? 

If I want to be something I haven't been in the past, would it help to try and 'fake' like I am that thing until it's real? Or would it be inauthentic?

Looking forward to hear your responses ;):P 

If a parental figure ever says that again, I give you energetic permission to 

A.) Slap your mom in the face AND/OR

B.) Kick your dad in the testicles as hard as you want.

I'll intuitively know when it happens and send you Matt Kahn love which basically means I love you like a sister or used to before you told me you're a Slytherin. 

It probably depends on the person. There are a lot of authentic unhappy people in this world and a lot of inauthentic happy people. Obviously everyone would like to be honest and happy but if the latter makes it easier for them to live there's nothing wrong with it.