Craig

material things , should we keep them ?

6 posts in this topic

I have lost any attachment to the many material things I have accumulated in the past 50 years. I still enjoy using some of them , but I find myself questioning it. I ride a Harley , they cost so much in OZ , I purchased it 10 yrs ago. If I were to sell it , I would have to near give it away. Do I still get enjoyment from it. Yes , it burns little fuel of which I use a alcohol mix ( bio fuel ) and blasting down the open road never felt better. I also restore classic cars. Is this just adding to the materialistic mentality ? Or am I just making a living from others need to have ownership. Does this sit good with the spiritual aspects of my fast changing life. After some considerable thinking, YES , if you are most passionate about something , this could be right for you. It does not have to be a profound task to be important. Does this bring enjoyment , happiness and a sense of pride to others ? Then it is a good deed then. Like a musician , do they clean up water ways , fix pollution , save lives or find cures for cancer ? No , but they do some thing we all need and that is to connect through music , the most common language. They can give us feelings through their actions.  I have down sized on most material pieces of junk that have accumulated around here and it was a good cleansing exercise. My rule was , if you have not used it in the last 12 months , then you must decided to keep it or let it go . What do you think ?

• Upvote 4

I agree totally w/ you.  Strange I was feeling the same way a few weeks ago.  We are not all meant to be saving the world in a large scale.  It is how we inter act w/ each other.  We will never know who the random conversation will affect another person.  We could profoundly change one person in a simple conversation.  Perhaps in our current incarnation this is how it is to be.  In our next spin on the cosmic wheel we will be the person who solves one of the worlds many ills.  Of course this all depends if you believe in incarnation.  To be honest I don't know if I do.  Which is way I believe in being happy in what you do and who you are,  Be thoughtful.  Be kind.  Move to become the divine being that you are meant to be. 

• Upvote 2

Talk about synchronicity , not long after I started this thread , a friend rang me with a great deal on two T bucket hot rods in need of resto. All metal bodies and frames for under two grand. Just to find one here is rare , turning rust into fun. Recycling on any level has to be a good thing hey ! 6 months ago I was stuck on the couch in pain, now I have 4 cars on the go at once. One is close to being done , 3 more to rebuild. Some one may one day be driving down the road in one of my cars and think up a cure for some horrible disease , just because they were in a happy place driving. Be gentle with each other . P. S. No mobile for over 9 months now. Brilliant !!!!

Edited by Craig
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Craig said:

If you have not used it in the last 12 months , then you must decided to keep it or let it go . What do you think ?

I usually do same. Although i do have an emotional attachment to certain things and that's why they stay longer with me. I've moved many times in my life, so clearing space has become a necessity. Many times things were just given to us, and it feels good to do the same when it's time to move on. I can not even imagine what my home would look like if i had stayed in the same place for many years. Drive by other people's houses and pay attention to their garage if the door is open... By the way everything is stored or placed you can see things that have been forgotten long time ago. Reminds me of deep conscious and subconscious  memories that nobody wants to touch.

At the same time I think there's nothing wrong with enjoying material things and wanting to have what life offers. As long as our life, happiness and joy don't depend on it, we should be fine))

• Upvote 1

I see someone does not agree with my love of cars. Yes they burn fossil fuel. You could use alcohol based fuel derived from sugar cane. We are in a sugar area and bio fuel is easily available. Besides , the cars I build are not for regular use , more for enjoyment , and restoring something that was left for dead gives me satisfaction. Plus I have an addiction to speed. The sensation , or should I say the illusion , of control over a machine and to alter and improve on that machines performance. This requires numerous skills , lateral thinking , hand skills such as welding, fitting and turning , electrical work , painting , interior work and so on .  Not to mention , in the case of custom work , a good imagination. I look at this as a form of ART. Expression of ones self through material objects. No different to painter . Was Rembrandt condemned for using oil based paint . NO. He should have known better that polluter. So it depends on how you look at it . Has everyone done away with their electrical goods that burn up fossil fuel at an alarming rate , have you got rid of your tv, computer , phones , hifi , and the list goes on . We all need stimulation to grow. Direction and how you interpret our surrounding will certainly change , thats what we are doing here. Finding our true direction and finally our true worth and duty. That is the goal , what path one takes will shape us but not define us. Remember , if it serves yourself and not others , then it would not feel right to do. Others may seek my talents because they do not posses them , that is then helping them to live their dream . I see no problem in that. Besides , we already care for disabled children at home , that should cut me some slack , dont you think.!

Edited by Craig
  • Upvote 1

Keep them. Enjoy them. Whether you want to believe it or not, our unhealthy desires also contribute to the expansion of the universe.