Sign in to follow this  

Meditation question

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I got a question regarding meditation 

When my mind is quiet I get a metallic taste at the tip of my tongue (it doesn't last for long) and I also get a very distinctive foul smell.  This has been going on for nearly three months and I do mindfulness meditation everyday. Should I be concerned about the foul smell?  

Thank you so much in advance

Teena

Lots of weird stuff can happen while meditating. Sometimes things happen once or twice and go away, other-times they stick with us for a long time. Anything from visuals, auditory stuff, feelings, taste, autonomous movements in the body. Difficult to say exactly why it's happening. Maybe someone has specific insight for that, but I think it is very safe to say that you have nothing to be concerned about. 

When I'm doing emotional processing and have been doing some deep breathing, my breath starts to taste really funny. I can't even describe it. It's not unpleasant ,it just has a very distinct feeling and actual taste to it and that's only when I do the emotional stuff. Weird. 

Wow that's so interesting! Not sure what happens though... Maybe try to ask Teal in the online workshop? I'd love to know the answer too :D 

Bodily sensation and perception can be intricately linked to all sorts of things not only in the body but in the mind and in thoughts, which is why certain smells, images, or sounds can trigger thoughts and memories. There could be something in your meditation that is causing a reverse recall and triggering the smell. It could mean nothing, but it could also be interesting, if the smell arises again, to pay attention to it and see if you can learn anything intuitively. 

Bottom line though, I don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

Try brushing teeth before meditation or mouthwash...the body functions are noticed even more as the breathing slows, the awareness raises. My tips. Blessings to you.

Thank you for all your insights! Gregory, I meditate before eating anything so only an hour or two after brushing my teeth but I will definitely try this will brush just before meditation.  Would love to hear what Teal's feedback...but glad to hear from everyone that it is not something to worry about. Thank you

maybe try to recognize a pattern of the sensation connected to another message. it could be a specific signature of who is communicating with you

@Collide another message? I didn't get it ..I also thought it should be someone that is communicating with me because I get that smell when I am alone.  funny thing is it just come and go nothing much I can do within that second.  Could this be a loved one who is on the other side? 

@Collide hmmm that is a foul smell so I should pay attention when it appears again.... wow interesting but why it has to be a strong foul smell? I'm allergy to very strong perfumes even the incense,  only the light floral smells or natural smells  I can handle. I know it might be really strange but I dont know why (only  during the last few years I noticed this allergy). Now I think I should pay more attention to this.