Garnet

Sustainability

7 posts in this topic

I am sitting here and reading food magazines. So, here is some study facts to look at.

91% of American consumers want GMOs labeled. 

At the same time 91% of meat eaters want to see beef as a center-of-plate option at least weekly when going out to eat. That doesn't include how much beef/beef products they continue consuming on daily basis.

Grass-fed beef is projected to outpace other beef over the next 4 years by 189%!

Do you know what this also means? Beef prices are going to be astronomical. Yay! Because this what i would like to see myself. The more expensive beef is the less people can afford it, and people naturally  will have to choose other options available.

Is there truly a way of raising cows in a sustainable manner without using GMOs as a food replacement, damaging environment or off setting the natural balance of the world?

The only sustainable way of raising cows I've ever seen was when my grandmother had a cow. She lived in a small community village. Not every house had a cow either. When the time was right, yes, they would eat it eventually. But it was once in a blue moon and also shared between many people/families.

Also i do not understand how people can eat any steak? As a former meat eater when going out to eat i was more disappointed than surprised by the steaks that we ordered. Other than myself i only trusted my husband to prepare one for me and that would satisfy my cravings till the next time :D

20161008_145332.jpg

20161008_145056.jpg

20161008_145157.jpg

• Upvote 1

Disclaimer before I go any further.  I meat & animal products. Does this mean I lack in enlightenment? Guess I could ask how can one be vegan, vegetarian.  Yea I kind of sound like a d-bag, but not intended to offend.  I heard that there is karmic debt in eating  meat.  Not sure what I think of that.  All I can I say is that I am much more aware of what I eat and make sure it is of the best quality and when possible locally sourced.  I can say that yes it is possible to raise cattle sans GMO's since my mother's family are farmers.  It would require the the whole change in the to the ag industry and basically require the return to the family w/ more locally raised cattle, pigs, chickens, well you get the idea I'm sure.  I can only be responsible for myself in this regard.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rain 369 said:

Disclaimer before I go any further.  I meat & animal products. Does this mean I lack in enlightenment?

This is where this new age/spirituality makes me angry. @Rain 369 you are not less than!

Enlightenment exist on all levels of awareness. This is what gives this life such a variety, intensity and balance.

Cultures all around the world have used rituals prior killing and eating animals. 

Whether we are vegans or not, i think it is always important to know your food, source, and not to take more than we need to minimize waste.

6 hours ago, Rain 369 said:

I heard that there is karmic debt in eating  meat.  Not sure what I think of that.  

Not sure what are you talking about, but then there's should be a balanced cycle of give and take. Maybe that why i save some seeds and  throw the rest across the road))

Hi Garnet.  I now better understand what you are discussing.  Our bodies are temples and we should be aware of what we consume.   It is our to maintain.

To be honest I have a very limited knowledge debt of karmic debt.  The theory of karma is very complex.  Not sure how much research or reading you've done on the subject, but basically by killing another living thing we will have to pay for this action in our next reincarnation.  This a very hard core belief from the Hindu, Buddhist, & Jain teachings.  Thanks :5761e0b2b8115_EmojiSmiley-03:

3 hours ago, Rain 369 said:

, but basically by killing another living thing we will have to pay for this action in our next reincarnation.  This a very hard core belief from the Hindu, Buddhist, & Jain teachings.  Thanks :5761e0b2b8115_EmojiSmiley-03:

Oh yes I've heard about this. I think it depends on what you believe and put your energy into.

Almost lost 3 Goldfish yesterday. Had to resurrect them. They look alive this morning, so i think i am good again , lol :5761e0b22c351_EmojiSmiley-01:

8 hours ago, Micah said:

I have beef with this thread! If less beef is consumed because of the price, that means more chicken. 

Or fish))

• Upvote 1