Kikipocodot

Should I just let my parents control me?

7 posts in this topic

I'm 18 and I would like to grow on my own. I want to have my own lifestyle, I guess. I offered to move out of my parents' house numerous times  and they wouldn't let me. They still try to control me. At the same time, I understand that they really care and I respect that. I feel like it would be easy to let go of resistance and do what they tell me to do. But I'm afraid that's not the right choice. I want to be an individual. I feel like they're holding me back. I've already talked to them but they won't stop trying to plan out my life for me, so there's really no changing that. Should I just let them control me?

• Upvote 2

Why ask a question that you already know the answer to? You know what everyone on this forum is going to tell you, so what is the real issue you want help with?

• Upvote 2

Hi @Kikipocodot, I think that parents can have both positive and negative reasons when they're trying to keep a son or daughter close to them...It could mean that they've had negative life experiences that they're possibly  trying to keep you away from.

But these reasons can also be extremely selfish, and we  must be highly aware of that. For instance, as a young adult my uncle was an extremely talented football player. My grandmother never let him pursue his dreams and convinced him to stay with her, and now he's 60 yo and still lives with her.

But in your case, I would personally suggest you to see if you can take concrete action steps to become more independent, given the fact that you've said that you want to be an 'individual'.

• Upvote 1

"Betraying yourself to not betray another is betrayal nonetheless. It's the highest betrayal" 

If you got the dough definitely leave brudda. Don't let people hold you down, you don't owe anyone anything 

On 08/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, Trinity Anderson said:

Speaking directly to you where you are vibrationally from where I am vibrationally:  It’s an illusion. No one is independent from their parents. You wouldn’t want to be if you want to believe in Oneness. The best parents "cover their tracks" of support well, to allow the child to feel and appear independent and in control of their own life. They support out of pure love and need no credit or even appreciation; the child’s joy is the reward for them. This allows the child to seem as if they are acting independently, but for highly “successful” people, I guarantee you a parent was there at a crucial moment and you just don’t know about it!

*I assumed we were both stuck in comparison thinking*

Apart from that, Kikipocodot might want to look into the possibility of everything already being in alignment, and that would also be in alignment with what Kikipocodot intuited - that releasing resistance and just flowing with the events will get them closer to what they have already wanted.

• Upvote 1

They will take a mile if you give them an inch.  no need to be weary or anything though.  even if it means a small argument or 3 along the way.  you will start to pay attention to your own voice more as you do this.