twisted love

why am i so obsessed with social justice

3 posts in this topic

why do i need to social justice to feel whole...or like it will give me a complete life. i want to feel whole without it...how do i do that. how do i accept that bad things happen in the world and i don't need to fix them to feel whole. to feel whole? 

Edited by twisted love
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps your need for social justice is a reflection of your personal experience of injustice and betrayal. If you experienced great injustice in your past then you may line up with and feel sympathy for those who are experiencing great injustice. What's wrong with that? Would you prefer to be the person who sees injustice but ignores it or blames the victims assuming they made bad choices? Or perhaps you want to be the person who sees others suffering as weakness and you seek to exploit it be heaping upon them even greater injustices? I think not. You sound as though you may be experience burnout, feeling exhausted and overwhelmed trying to overcome injustices that are to great and to numerous to handle. Burnout can result from the reliving of our own injustice as we try to help others and it can result from taking on others injustice trying to fix them which only results in them becoming dependent on you and injuring you both by perpetrating another injustice. We need to learn to help others by showing them how to help themselves as Teal does in her teaching and realize that each of us chooses our own path and that suffering is a powerful tool for change. Take care of yourself first. Drill down into this need for social justice work and see where it comes from. Take time to love and play and experience joy and beauty then return to doing to doing social justice work with joy and peace and be an example of injustice overcome with grace. I struggle with the same tendency to become overwhelmed and burned out so i cycle between self care and service always seeking balance and accepting change. Peace!

There is a positive side and a negative side to everything. Are you more focused on the injustices that happen in the world and the outrage, or are you more focused on what you personally have to power to do for those injustices, and turning that outrage into positivity? You can be into social justice and have a good time with it :)