Courtney Callahan

Mindfulness and Emotional Healing

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Last night I wrote the post "Enlightenment and Emotional Healing" under the "Enlightenment" section. Upon reading the responses this morning, I realized I have confused mindful awareness with enlightenment, and I would like to reframe my question. 

I often wonder, is mindful awareness of pain enough for emotional healing? When is it necessary to dive into the issue rooted in the ego mind and work it out from that level (as some healing techniques do, especially in mainstream psychology)?

After reading Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now and A New Earth, I thought mindful awareness was the solution to everything. It helped me get over the panic attacks I had about 4 years ago, but now I'm finding that they are coming back and I feel still threatened by the memory of the initial panic attack that marked the beginning of the panic disorder. I wonder if there is something deeper I need to dive into at the ego level to unhook me from this for good.

Thank you <3

Edited by Courtney Callahan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you rephrased because this is a super cool question to me. I've been confused about this in the past. I'm not sure if I have an answer, but I like the sound of my own voice so I'll riff anyway.

Mindful awareness is a powerful mechanism for emotional healing and yes it is enough to resolve whatever is within us. I think it happens over time as eventually everything begins to come to the surface as resistance barriers begin to drop. So it is enough. If our aim of practice is to resolve internal traumas, then it will require a great deal of patience. It can be a serious confusing disturbance to discover that the pain of unresolved traumas remain, even after our honey-moon phase with teachings of mindful awareness. 

That being said, it's just one mechanism and doesn't mean there aren't advantages to also using other mechanisms. In fact I personally think the path of trying to resolve all pain within through mindfulness awareness alone is fucking hardcore, on par with joining a monastery or something. Different mechanisms facilitate different things, and some are more accelerated then others. 

Diving deep and using other healing mechanisms are just really useful, practical, and sometimes fun. 

When I engage in mindful awareness, sometimes it seems that everything seems to be occurring of its own volition, and so if this body wants to start engaging in shadow work, then that's just what's going to happen and I don't seem to have any say on it. So when you ask "When is it necessary", well... it's never necessary. But it's not ever necessary to be mindfully aware or to do any particular work either. It's all a matter of choice. I have heard a few different masters share the sentiment that different students will be fitted to different practices due to their temperament. Simplify and go with your gut. Mindful awareness is a great way of being and if it's served you then keep doing it, and if other practices arise then simply go with your intuition. If you want to do them, then do them and see if they work for you. You'll find that there's no real contradiction in them. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is enough for emotional healing in almost every case in some cases of trauma your whole life time might not be enough to deal with the problem fully by mindfullness. With mindfullness there will be several steps before you can even do effective emotional healing you have to get access to your emotions at first this already is fairly hard for most people. then you would basically be practising emotional vipassana instead of the original mindfullness meditation thats one step of the completion process by the way, and with this you would sink deeper and deeper into this feeling now it depends how good you are at releasing resistance to this feeling if you are not good at it, a serious trauma would take months or years of focus on it maybe you would never get rid of it if you keep up the resistance. With the completion process you just read the book i did right away the first day it arrived and at the next day i integrated about 5 easy traumas which i had memories of within like 30-40 minutes. And i already integrated several other minor traumas and about 3 really big ones usually it did not take over 20 minutes per session just the last trauma i integrated was hard i could not get to the memory thats why i needed multiple sessions and trust in the process. It changed my life tremendously i did not suffer a single time after doing the last big trauma. I would guess that i saved decades of inner work by this process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Courtney Callahan said:

Hi everyone,

Last night I wrote the post "Enlightenment and Emotional Healing" under the "Enlightenment" section. Upon reading the responses this morning, I realized I have confused mindful awareness with enlightenment, and I would like to reframe my question. 

I often wonder, is mindful awareness of pain enough for emotional healing? When is it necessary to dive into the issue rooted in the ego mind and work it out from that level (as some healing techniques do, especially in mainstream psychology)?

After reading Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now and A New Earth, I thought mindful awareness was the solution to everything. It helped me get over the panic attacks I had about 4 years ago, but now I'm finding that they are coming back and I feel still threatened by the memory of the initial panic attack that marked the beginning of the panic disorder. I wonder if there is something deeper I need to dive into at the ego level to unhook me from this for good.

Thank you <3

Oh and almost forgot  Eckhart Tolle was basically my first true spiritual teacher he is really fantastic and a dear friend of teal, sure it is the solution to everything if you are willing to sit down for 8 hours a day and meditate you will be enlightened in no time coming from a space of suffering in your whole life. But this is not the case for many people im really dedicated to my meditation practise but i hardly can do it longer than 1 hour a day.

The way teal explains how mindfullness works is that it stops the momentum of your thought process and this will solve everything if you are able to keep it up as i described above. But in the end it is just a way of running away if you run away because you come from a place of resistance it will get problematic. Face your problems here and now with the completion process so you can be done with it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LaucherJunge said:

It is enough for emotional healing in almost every case in some cases of trauma your whole life time might not be enough to deal with the problem fully by mindfullness. With mindfullness there will be several steps before you can even do effective emotional healing you have to get access to your emotions at first this already is fairly hard for most people. then you would basically be practising emotional vipassana instead of the original mindfullness meditation thats one step of the completion process by the way, and with this you would sink deeper and deeper into this feeling now it depends how good you are at releasing resistance to this feeling if you are not good at it, a serious trauma would take months or years of focus on it maybe you would never get rid of it if you keep up the resistance. With the completion process you just read the book i did right away the first day it arrived and at the next day i integrated about 5 easy traumas which i had memories of within like 30-40 minutes. And i already integrated several other minor traumas and about 3 really big ones usually it did not take over 20 minutes per session just the last trauma i integrated was hard i could not get to the memory thats why i needed multiple sessions and trust in the process. It changed my life tremendously i did not suffer a single time after doing the last big trauma. I would guess that i saved decades of inner work by this process.

That's amazing! Thank you for your response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boxofrain said:

 In fact I personally think the path of trying to resolve all pain within through mindfulness awareness alone is fucking hardcore, on par with joining a monastery or something. Different mechanisms facilitate different things, and some are more accelerated then others. 

Thank you so much for your response! I especially like this quote above. I appreciate your perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now