Sign in to follow this  
LaucherJunge

finding approval for being superficial

7 posts in this topic

I thought you meant all kinds of superficiality.

In the sense of people and looks  I don't think there is such a thing as "superficial" necessarily. People look the way they do and we respond to their looks because they resonate with something about us. What we respond to about how other people look actually reveals a lot of depth about ourselves. And in my opinion someone's looks says a lot about them; their health, values, culture, etc. It does take a lot of practise to learn to interpret without bias though.

I think you're getting a bit too ahead by trying to find approval for it before you've explored it fully.

Teal herself also has a blog about physical beauty... easy to find through a search. 

8 minutes ago, Kroge said:

I thought you meant all kinds of superficiality.

In the sense of people and looks  I don't think there is such a thing as "superficial" necessarily. People look the way they do and we respond to their looks because they resonate with something about us. What we respond to about how other people look actually reveals a lot of depth about ourselves. And in my opinion someone's looks says a lot about them; their health, values, culture, etc. It does take a lot of practise to learn to interpret without bias though.

I think you're getting a bit too ahead by trying to find approval for it before you've explored it fully.

Teal herself also has a blog about physical beauty... easy to find through a search. 

There is way more depth to a being than the looks and you can not know everything about a person just because you know how they look in my opinion.
And the way i mean it is that you would sort out people who do not have this physical beauty in your opinion without even letting them show you their inner world.
Im not a native english speaker so i dont really know what you mean by your first sentence to be honest because thats exactly what superficial translates into in german.

2 hours ago, LaucherJunge said:

There is way more depth to a being than the looks and you can not know everything about a person just because you know how they look in my opinion.

And that is not at all what I said. I specifically outlined a few points which looks can and do often indicate.

"Superficial" can refer to many things, not just physical aesthetics.