Jerry Tyfting

Connection and addiction

10 posts in this topic

Connection and addiction

I was reminded of something in the TT face book group and i wanted to share it here too.

[Teal talked about this, that an experiment had been done with mice. One mouse was left alone and introduced to an addictive substance.The mouse went for it on his own.
When that mouse was introduced to a group of mice that one mouse did not even go near that addictive thing even if the substance itself was there.

sadly i find myself in this exact situation, and i dont even do drugs, alchohol, meds or smokes.
Literally anything can become addicting when the connection we seek is unavailable through people. You then have got to focus what substance is the least damaging.] 

I find myself in a challenging space because most addicts tend to be drawn to these unhealthy substances while im not. The vibe is the same but the thing we addict ourselves to is different so i feel unable to connect to them over a beer, smoke or any recreational drug. Heck even the processed sugar use is a drug and i practice to lessen that so i cant really connect over a "fika" either (fika is a swedish word for when 2 or more get together to eat pastries, cookies or cake and have a nice time by talking too).

Sooo yea. oh by the way i practice lessening the processed food all together so health wise im very healthy relatively speaking. Without that thing to connect or bond over i find myself in a rough spot. 

I wonder...are there any here who is in a similar situation or feel similarly?

• Upvote 4

when it comes to addiction I like to get rid of it. also some addictions actually hurt you and some people have never even stopped that addiction to know what it feels like when you aren't doing that. they don't have a before and after, its just normal for them. for example junk food, masturbation, video games, whatever. once you see those layers and clear those layers in yourself you can be a better judge of character for yourself and knowing yourself is knowing everyone else. so you can easily see who's right for you and who's not right for you, you can see these layers in people, not just fall in love to fill that black hole empty feeling. feel that black hole, cry, get depressed for 2 days whatever it is, but that feeling will always be there even if you're 80 years old, age doesn't matter it will come up eventually. I noticed if I'm around people who eat junk food I'll crave it, and I never crave it. either I go down or they come up, I'm out numbered so I go down and feel for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Well I seem to want connection but have not been able to attract anyone physically to give it to me. I understand how it feels it feels like your running on empty.

Edited by Sunshine997
  • Upvote 1

@Jerry Tyfting unfortunately, most of the people that we see are close minded and short sighted. I live in bahrain and there is nobody here from teal tribes whom i can connect based on teal's knowledge. I meet people those who have different belief systems. We talk...but i feel they are still new to self love beliefs. Most of them are limited to eating when it comes to self love. I go with them and eat whatever they want or drink till the truth cimes out. Sometimes I over do and after few events i open the topic of self harming and self loving. Its simetimes very hard even to penetrate their first layer. But still i am going with them bcos i want to feel their connection, improvement can take place over the period. So, yeah i find myself in similar situation, then i shake and forget myself to become them for a while. Its fun too

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

YES I understand completely!

It has never ceased to blow my mind how many people I lost connection with once I stopped eating GMOs and animal products that have been exposed to GM foods.

Food is a huge part of connection, ironically.

I wish I had solutions for you, but I'm really still getting there myself. I have just stood strong where I am, and slowly the people around me have gotten used to the fact that this is how I eat... It's definitely difficult at times though.

I dream of a world where food isn't surrounded with so much cruelty...

• Upvote 1

@Jerry Tyfting here is something i thought you might find interesting, i noticed i resonate with the fearful avoidant type. It's quite painful for me sometimes, but im getting better,  hope i attract a girlfriend whom i can practice closeness with so the fear would be transformed :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_adults 

Not sure how that is related to addiction, but you might get something out of it!

Much love! 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Syndarn said:

@Jerry Tyfting here is something i thought you might find interesting, i noticed i resonate with the fearful avoidant type. It's quite painful for me sometimes, but im getting better,  hope i attract a girlfriend whom i can practice closeness with so the fear would be transformed :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_adults 

Not sure how that is related to addiction, but you might get something out of it!

Much love! 

Anxious-preoccupied feels fitting for me. The blame and the wanting of high levels of intimacy among other things. There are traits that blend and go in to each other from day to day. some days i do feel secure other days i can feel fearful too. It varies. :) 

• Upvote 1

On 03.09.2016 at 0:00 AM, Jerry Tyfting said:

Connection and addiction

I was reminded of something in the TT face book group and i wanted to share it here too.

[Teal talked about this, that an experiment had been done with mice. One mouse was left alone and introduced to an addictive substance.The mouse went for it on his own.
When that mouse was introduced to a group of mice that one mouse did not even go near that addictive thing even if the substance itself was there.

sadly i find myself in this exact situation, and i dont even do drugs, alchohol, meds or smokes.
Literally anything can become addicting when the connection we seek is unavailable through people. You then have got to focus what substance is the least damaging.] 

I find myself in a challenging space because most addicts tend to be drawn to these unhealthy substances while im not. The vibe is the same but the thing we addict ourselves to is different so i feel unable to connect to them over a beer, smoke or any recreational drug. Heck even the processed sugar use is a drug and i practice to lessen that so i cant really connect over a "fika" either (fika is a swedish word for when 2 or more get together to eat pastries, cookies or cake and have a nice time by talking too).

Sooo yea. oh by the way i practice lessening the processed food all together so health wise im very healthy relatively speaking. Without that thing to connect or bond over i find myself in a rough spot. 

I wonder...are there any here who is in a similar situation or feel similarly?

Oh yeah, I experience almost the same. Addicted to internet and food.. My food addiction has returned badly. 
I am not addicted to smoking, drugs or alcohol either. In fact I never smoked, did drugs. Only drank 2 times - but decided not to drink anymore because it's both unhealthy and I just didn't have an affinity for it. 
And yes.. It's impossible to create connection even through my addiction.
But oh.. Not so fast. At least I meet people online. That fulfills my need, even though not fully, and in a destructive way.

I practice switching to unprocessed food as well :) It's failing so far, because of my food addiction. I seek relief via food. 
But.. Food does wonders when it comes to my mood. It works like a charm. 

• Upvote 1

Addiction is part of life. You are allowed to explore your addictions and find their place in your life, just like everything else. Taking care of what we do with our bodies is important but so are many other things. Sometimes it's more important to form a social connection than it is to be perfectly healthy in the moment. Sometimes it's more important to relieve a bit of stress than to spare your body a few trace toxins. If you find that the process of dealing with your addictions is causing you stress and pain then reconsider your approach.

Personally I like my addictions now because I see them as fluid. I allow myself to pick and choose and cycle through different addictions. I can happily eat something that is technically unhealthy and not have it lower my vibration at all; and often quite the opposite. I find this to be a much better approach than stressing over it.

• Upvote 2