Giulia

Thoughts on College/Education

16 posts in this topic

Thoughts on College/Education

Hello, today I thought I would ask your opinion on going to College and pursuing higher education.

I believe it would be beneficial to get different opinions and hear your experiences on this subject...I'm currently in a phase where I have to decide if I want to quit College and start working or transfer to a different , private one. In the latter case, I would have to ask my parents to help me financially, and I'm not sure they really like the idea.

I'm really confused. I can't figure out if this is all a waste of time or not. My experience with it hasn't been that positive so far, but the idea of studying interpreting and translation still fascinates me.

What was your experience with college? Do you regret going , or not going?

• Upvote 1

Well I go to university now and have finished my first year a couple months ago. I went there mainly for the experience and learning of my subject film studies, to help me with my desire however I have realised my course does not teach a lot of stuff I need to know, so I don't really care about if but I love the experience here of being able to do different things and hobbies and making connections and friends. Ok for your situation, hmmm, it will Be up to u, remember u are the most powerful creator, humans are the most powerful creators in the universe, try taking small steps gradually to creating the positive experience u want at college. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/9/2016 at 0:14 AM, Damon is Awesome said:

Well I go to university now and have finished my first year a couple months ago. I went there mainly for the experience and learning of my subject film studies, to help me with my desire however I have realised my course does not teach a lot of stuff I need to know, so I don't really care about if but I love the experience here of being able to do different things and hobbies and making connections and friends. Ok for your situation, hmmm, it will Be up to u, remember u are the most powerful creator, humans are the most powerful creators in the universe, try taking small steps gradually to creating the positive experience u want at college. 

Thanks for your imput, Damon! In which country are you studying, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry, this post might be long but I have a different sort of perspective to add.

For me, going to college was my escape; at the time when I originally decided I was going to go to college, I was living by default; doing what society expected of me and not really seeing the point of questioning it. In the later years of high school, I had already been well into a deep depression as a result of my father physically, emotionally, and sexually abusing me.

I think on some level I realized that I just wanted to go far, far away and that if I was honest with myself I just wanted to have fun and make friends. But it was easy enough to pretend like I cared about learning more, too. So, I went to school a thousand miles away from where I grew up. To me, it was like a win-win... People would tell me I'm a good person for continuing my education, and I also got the luxury of being far away from my shaky home situation as my parents got divorced.

At college, I became close friends with the wildest party girls of our small freshman class and every weekend,  and I mean, every weekend, we would go party! Most weekdays I would get high too, so there weren't too many days in that year that I was sober. Sometimes it was at someone's house, sometimes there would be a forest party/bonfire sort of thing. Actually it was some of the funnest times of my life, mixed right amongst some of the darkest. Looking back I guess a lot of my friendships were pretty surface level; but on the other hand, it felt so good to be truly accepted. I was actually one of the 'cool kids' at the small christian school, something that was neat to experience for the first time :) 

I was also a film major and feeling more optimistic than ever. But reality hits you hard sometimes when you're flying the highest; one weekend I found myself at a party waiting for people who I didn't even want to wait for, when some cops came up and began questioning us; we were obviously underage and obviously drunk. Long story short I ended up in handcuffs for trying to run away (lol, I know, I was stupid) and ended up crying a whole lot and my friends eventually convinced them to not arrest me..

It all began to catch up to me. My friends that I was closest to said they did not want to come back to the college next year and it shook me up because I didn't really want to be there if they weren't. I ended up doing a bunch of reckless things which I don't really want to get into here and ended up with another huge ticket for graffiti, on top of really severe emotional issues. I also worried that I wouldn't have anything to do with my film/art major once I graduated, as neither are very practical.

Slowly I was realizing that the whole institution of 'college' was financial in nature. The people in charge of my college seemed mostly money hungry to me, charging all of their students money for the most absurd things. I felt like a liar being there; posing as if I had money, pretending that I could work hard and play hard, and feeling super suicidal. A lot of the other people there were more well off financially than me and it dug a gap between them and I.

After the school year ended, I had developed an amphetamine habit. Coming back to my original state, I went to community college with a prescription so I was basically legally addicted to pills; I needed the drugs to feel 'normal'.

I worked a lot and worked hard, and was becoming burnt out quickly. I wanted to keep up with it so bad, but one day when I was working, I experienced a sudden change of consciousness, what I later found was a seizure, caused by my medication. 

I stopped all the drugs and took time off school. I realized that the entire past year and a half I had been running from myself, that I had been doing school because I wanted to get away from the pain of abuse. While I had mostly escaped it, my father was still in my life at the time, which didn't help with anything. I had a lot of emotional problems (hence the drug problems) and it became all at once apparent to me that living this way, running from these things, was not helping me at all. And I finally admitted, I didn't know what I wanted at all.

At this time I began to apply what I had learned from Teal, specifically that about pineal gland decalcification. I felt so lost, I figured it would be best to at least try that with the hope that doing so would help me find direction.

I lost lots of friends when I stopped using drugs; sad as it is. What I found with pineal gland decalcification is I became willing to question what most people had just accepted; I really got in there. I asked, what would I want to get out of school? And the answer came, that what I had wanted the most was to escape my home situation, and to make friends, to make enough money to just get by. I never really wanted that life that most people have where they couple off, get married, have kids, work a job, then retire...

So instead I decided to focus on giving myself those things, without school. I turned my life around. Instead of going to school,  I applied all my time towards learning about nutrition and health instead, with the hopes of turning my health around for the better. I learned a very well rounded, basic understanding of nutrition, all on my own. And I also did manage to apply what I learned to my life. I did the amazing liver and gallbladder flush and flushed close to 1000 stones and I am now stone free. I did parasite and colon cleanses, and took supplements as well. I also became very spiritual in this time, as cleaning my body was a very spiritual practice to me. I found that I no longer needed coffee to stay focused, or to be awake. Don't get me wrong, this sort of reversal was brutal at times. But it was so worth it.

I don't regret going to college... I met some amazing people and I really needed that time away from home to breathe a little. Even though I don't feel that college is a necessary institution, I feel that all of this, everything, was necessary for me to become who I am today.

I will never know where I'd be if I didn't take charge of my own life.

Time has passed, and so far I haven't felt the need to go back to school quite yet. I think of school as a sort of last resort. I am basically guaranteed success for what I want to achieve if I go to school, so for the time being I would rather try earning it on my own without school than go to school and rack up a bunch of debt. I have friends outside of school and continue to learn so honestly I don't feel any need to. Who knows though, my future might change my mind.

Edited by Tessa Rae
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for sharing your story, @Tessa Rae! It was truly interesting to read. I agree on the 'escape' situation, I feel like I didn't really enjoy my learning experience but those years were also a blessing for me, because I had the time to focus on my healing a lot.

I guess every experience comes with its downsides and positive parts...

Do you live in the USA? I always read terrible stories regarding students debts and loans, and I believe that education in Northern America is just too expensive for what it is!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Giulia said:

Thanks for sharing your story, @Tessa Rae! It was truly interesting to read. I agree on the 'escape' situation, I feel like I didn't really enjoy my learning experience but those years were also a blessing for me, because I had the time to focus on my healing a lot.

I guess every experience comes with its downsides and positive parts...

Do you live in the USA? I always read terrible stories regarding students debts and loans, and I believe that education in Northern America is just too expensive for what it is!

Yes I do! I'm glad you enjoyed my long story ^^ But yes the student debt is a dark reality and I honestly believe that the problem is actually a lot worse than most economists are saying... I don't mean to be too cynical, but I think now more than ever it's important to be discerning as to why we want to go to school... especially in America.

What country are you attending school at?

Edited by Tessa Rae

On 5/9/2016 at 1:11 AM, Tessa Rae said:

Yes I do! I'm glad you enjoyed my long story ^^ But yes the student debt is a dark reality and I honestly believe that the problem is actually a lot worse than most economists are saying... I don't mean to be too cynical, but I think now more than ever it's important to be discerning as to why we want to go to school... especially in America.

What country are you attending school at?

I'm currently living in Italy , that's where I grew up :) And yeah, I think that the whole college and education system needs a serious reform! I mean, how much does the average american student pay for college per year? something like 30k? Maybe less in public schools, but you get my point...It's crazy, seriously.

• Upvote 2

I like furthering education   But I never had discipline or funds to be a full time doctor or something     Like Indiana jones was a doctor.  

I think that'd be cool.  But it's my ego.   I think it's way more important to have heart.   Intellect.  Competence.  Be. Happy.   Competence to me means self resilient or robust  

So.  Ur here now.  And Can't choose a path?   Take a detour unless u feel like fuck it.   Finish it.  Follow the heart 

It's expensive and I agree.  It's hard to get through the early part.  Especially

I was listening to many trusted sources and they say many geniuses in physics get frustrated undergrad dropout.   Bc that physics isn't their forte.   Gravity is weird in space.   Same for linguistics or any serious study   And shame some probably  don't follow through -- but once you're in a graduate program.  You focus your own work.  It's more about collaboration not tests.  And you work on big ideas and pictures.   So it always sounded really ideal to me.  It was unfortunate it's unaffordable and it's not easy to forego your real passions which often are unrelated to the stuff u learn anyway.     All for being well rounded.   But I think if ur like trying to change the world or figure out an important problem of generation ?   You belong around unique people of intellect. In supportive environment.  Vis a vid.   Skip college. Go direct to grad school ?

I  am the king of mastery of the unstructured completely random mish mosh of education. 

I I think most importantly.   Stay curious. That's all that matters.  FOLLOW UR HEART.  

Edited by M_The_Raven
  • Upvote 2

I do honestly believe there are great ways to do things in ur own weird pace.  If you need to go backwards and relearn a basic thing to understand something complex. You do it.   

Iove pondering education   I felt it's taught different at different levels    You learn very little memorizing data for undergrad ---  but u explore in the later half of it  

it seems to me it should be restructured   Ur free in the start   And then u carve a road path to where u want to go    Ur intuition guides u   But if u get left astray   It's same   You change coarse  I love the topic I think USA education is great on grad level   Sucks a lot tho  u need to be political  not a thinker

so u get one tightwad teacher  ur Einstein  and ur explaining why space curves bend   And   U fail the class  Bc ur teacher --- so if ur Einstein   Two choices    Continuum    Or frustrated & drop out 

oddly there's very little difference between both paths     They both formed out of necessity   A flaw  

http://youtu.be/DdNAUJWJN08

Imagine it's 1920.  And would go to Berlin university.  And ur like einstein's student.  But u think really rigid.  Bad mix. 

He would be like.   GTFO.     lol.   Newton is wrong.   Blaspheme.      

Same with any other smart innovative thinker.    Find what u want to be around and grow from.  Within. And manifest it outward.   Approach ur dreams.  

Like kill bill. 

Uma thurman climbs the mountain to meet sensei to beg for training.   

That's what you need to do.  if u have a specific goal in mind.

if ur lost and completely unable to choose a path.  Take a time out ---

Edited by M_The_Raven
  • Upvote 1

Stick with it and finish now while you are young enough to make something of yourself!  I went to college straight out of high school, didn't really know what I wanted to do so I quit and worked, then went back to finish in my mid 30s.  What I found was that getting a degree at this late stage in my life was not really very beneficial.  I put myself and my family through hell to finish school while raising a family and working and I acquired a large debt that now I have no way to pay off.   A year later after graduating, I still don't have a job.  I'm finding that the jobs that I am applying for, are not enough an hour to compensate for the debt they expect me to pay back.  With the little bit more an hour I can earn, they will cut my benefits down to nothing, so it is like I really don't make any more money. 

When you are in your 20s is when you either make it or break it, that's what someone said to me recently, and unfortunately, this seems to be true.  So my advise is to get a degree while you are young and build a decent resume.  If you aren't sure what you want to do for your major, pick something that suits you and stick with it.  So I guess my regret would be not just finishing while I was young.  Also, I thought if I took time off I would figure out what I wanted to do but I never figured it out and I'm just as confused about it now as I was back then. 

Funny how the first two people to respond studied film, and I've studied film, too!

To be completely short. I'm too radical for school, but I had to come back to school (I'm 31, and was last in school when I was 20) was to prove that to myself. However, if you can be passionate about what you're doing, go for it. I just really hate that I have to think how they think.. and then it shows me all the things they need to be successful. Which would require their staff to get a lot of training. Which is basically an overhaul. Which is a lot to ask. Lol. But, gives me insight for the future. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, tiffonce said:

Funny how the first two people to respond studied film, and I've studied film, too!

To be completely short. I'm too radical for school, but I had to come back to school (I'm 31, and was last in school when I was 20) was to prove that to myself. However, if you can be passionate about what you're doing, go for it. I just really hate that I have to think how they think.. and then it shows me all the things they need to be successful. Which would require their staff to get a lot of training. Which is basically an overhaul. Which is a lot to ask. Lol. But, gives me insight for the future. 

Art is about blood.   le feu follet.   

Narratives. Themes.  Take time.   Maybe more than blood. But it's you bled out.   And maybe analysis of such ?   You're own school of studying your own bones 

more than meat.  More than brain goo. 

It's in you and you are best with painted blood 

thats art.   And school for upper resonance.  Harmonic.     You pluck.    Chill u strike.  

Book on that can't teach u ---. Shivering --- a word.   But you didn't know it until you felt and tasted fear.   And there's stuff like that we can find.  But never rely on a promissory note to give us validation.   If you came out knowing less than you did im walking in. You succeeded.   It's linear.  Forward 

Edited by M_The_Raven
  • Upvote 1