Micah

Favorite vegan snacks or go to cuisines...ready GO!

45 posts in this topic

I recently went vegan and I am trying to get some ideas. 

I like making meatless ceviche, basically I chop up some white onion (1/4 to 1/2 depending on your taste), squeeze a whole lime and half a lemon onto the chopped onions, then chop 1 tomato, one avocado, fresh cilantro to taste (parsley will work I think), salt and black pepper to taste then mix. Note: you can chill in the fridge if you prefer to, the longer you let it sit, the more the lemon and lime cook the onion if you don't like strong onion taste. I eat it straight up. If you eat shrimp you can add salad shrimp; this makes a good dip with corn chips or large plantain chips may work. I enjoy it as a salad with a few drops of my favorite hot sauce. 

I also like hummus and plantain chips or pita chips. Hummus is relatively cheap and easy to make if you have a blender or food processor, you can find several recipes online. 

Edited by Micah
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Micah said:

I like making meatless ceviche, basically I chop up some white onion (1/4 to 1/2 depending on your taste), squeeze a whole lime and half a lemon onto the chopped onions, then chop 1 tomato, one avocado, fresh cilantro to taste (parsley will work I think), salt and black pepper to taste then mix. Note: you can chill in the fridge if you prefer to, the longer you let it sit, the more the lemon and lime cook the onion if you don't like strong onion taste. I eat it straight up. If you eat shrimp you can add salad shrimp; this makes a good dip with corn chips or large plantain chips may work. I enjoy it as a salad with a few drops of my favorite hot sauce. 

I also like hummus and plantain chips or pita chips. Hummus is relatively cheap and easy to make if you have a blender or food processor, you can find several recipes online. 

Oh and I make a mean couscous salad. If you know of any other great Mediterranean dishes please share. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Micah said:

Micah, this sounds like a dinner to me. Haha :D

21 hours ago, Micah said:

Apple

Banana 

Nuts (nut & berry mixes)

Cherries

Cherry tomatoes 

Fuji apple + PB :thumbs-up-yahoo-emoticon:

• Upvote 5

I love a halved sweet potato baked. Pull it out of the oven, top with salad, or salsa, or chilli beans, or hummus and seeds, or pizza toppings... what ever your feeling.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Garnet said:

Micah, this sounds like a dinner to me. Haha :D

Apple

Banana 

Nuts (nut & berry mixes)

Cherries

Cherry tomatoes 

Fuji apple + PB :thumbs-up-yahoo-emoticon:

It is a dinner for me and I like snacking on fruits and nuts all day. 

• Upvote 1

Made Teal's quinoa salad last night ( from Settled silence blog). Sooooo good! I cut the recipe in half and still had a lot. I snacked on it today and will again  tomorrow :D

P.S. add a squeeze of lemon to diffuse garlic taste if needed.

• Upvote 3

On 8/30/2016 at 4:02 PM, Micah said:

The cevice sounds more like Pico de gallo which is also great. 

I make a lentil soup that is very good and a brown fried rice.

• Upvote 4

On 9/1/2016 at 8:41 PM, Garnet said:

Made Teal's quinoa salad last night ( from Settled silence blog). Sooooo good! I cut the recipe in half and still had a lot. I snacked on it today and will again  tomorrow :D

Day 3. I filled a spinach tortilla wrap with hummus, avocado and leftover salad ))

• Upvote 4

If you have a dehydrator you can make soooo many snacks! 

My recent favorite is cauliflower. I use one head and cut it into small pieces, toss in olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic.  It takes about 2-2,5 hours for it to be ready (it's going to be soft). If you don't have a dehydrator, just use oven, but you don't get the same taste.

You can eat this "roasted" cauliflower by itself or add as a topping to salads. 

• Upvote 3

My favorite snacks :) :

Banana Oat Cookies: bled a ripe banana with some oats, cinnamon, nuts or seeds, you can also add dried fruit, once you have the right consistency, you can make either cookies or small balls and bake for around 10 minutes

Homemade easy naan bread with either hummus or guacamole + veggies 

Easy raw bliss balls: blend medjool dates with some nuts + anything else you like (vanilla, cocoa powder, coconut, seeds, matcha...) This is so simple and you can also freeze them for later. :)

Chia pudding: non-dairy milk + chia seeds + maple syrup + fruit

Hummus with carrots

And my favorite salad: shredded carrots and apples + some freshly squeezed orange juice on top

Avocado toast with some nutritional yeast

• Upvote 5

I made Teal's quinoa salad again but skipped the olives and made my own dressing. I didn't like olive oil taste last time, so i used hemp seed oil instead, freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, salt, pepper. Love it this way!

If you make this salad, don't mix dressing with it untill you ready to eat. It will stay fresh this way))

• Upvote 1

@Garnet This salad really sounds like something very delicious! You say Teal's quinoa salad is in her Settled Silence blog? I'm going to try it. 

Edited by Micah

3 minutes ago, Garnet said:

@Micah yes. Tastes better next day too. Cold brings out flavors of the ingredients.

I know but I don't have patients usually haha, at least there will be enough to put away after I have my way with it first.

I always do this with my couscous salads. 

• Upvote 1

I was in the mood for something warm, comforting and very satisfying.

Made this sweet red curry vegetables & rice.

The recipe is very simple:

- coconut milk, red curry, 1-1.5 tbs sugar, salt. Simmer for a little bit, then add vegetables.  I used carrots, onions, portobello mushroom and abundance of broccoli. Serve over rice. Adding soy sauce brings out the flavors (optional).

Perfect for rainy days and colder weather :)

Enjoy!

20160921_215117.jpg

2016-09-21_21.57.27.jpg

• Upvote 6