Old Soul777

2 kinds of spiritual practice

4 posts in this topic

I recently saw Teal's video on coping mechanisms. She made an excellent point in the video. Point was, that your spiritual practice could have been triggered  as a coping mechanism. In my case this is true, I've been doing my "spiritual" practice for almost 2 years. When Teal pointed out about that spiritual practice could just very well be a coping mechanism I was applauding her for such an excellent observation. However, I looked within myself and I saw that my whole "spiritual" practice was a lie... That whole time I thought that I was searching for enlightenment, but in reality it was nothing but a coping mechanism. I feel like my practice was a terrible waste of time and now have feeling of abandoning this spiritual quest. 

My question for you guys is, how and why do you do practice spirituality? Is it because you are looking for enlightenment? Maybe you feel you SHOULD be doing it and not because you want to. Or maybe you do it for fun.

Also I want to know what you gained out of your spiritual practice. 

Finally as a last note, if your motivation is find enlightenment what does that really mean? I feel like enlightenment is intangible to really achieve. What are your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

I practice it because it gives me peace of mind. I decided a while back to only do the spiritual things that bring me joy. For example, if I don't really feel like meditating I don't. I don't force myself to do it because it would be counter productive at that point in time. When I feel like meditating I do..

That is my practice

• Upvote 3

There's nothing I really practised, all it meant was for me to actually learn how to love myself and realise I create my own reality, so I now read books about that, watch teal interviews, keep up to date with Ralph smart, but it's never been a practice but a way of life. As Veronica mentioned, if I felt like meditating I would, never force it. And I never felt sprituality was a set of things to do, ever, it was and still is to me, te truth(s) of life, which is just love.But I mean I look back at what life was like before I discovered spirituality, it was me being in fear of everything , believing in the external world. It's all about following my joy, even if that means eating vegan ice cream at 1am and watching a movie  hahah

• Upvote 2

I really resonate with Teal when she says that the goal of spirituality isn't enlightenment, it's authenticity. I agree with that idea completely. Enlightenment sounds boring to me, authenticity is much more exciting. I began to use spiritual practice as a coping mechanism years ago after I attempted suicide. I would focus only on the positive and ignore anything else! I didn't understand the goodness and healing possible in embracing negative emotion. Before that, my spiritual practice was simply enjoying my life, and basking in it, and having fun and experiencing all of the emotions fully. Now, my spiritual practice is finding more ways to be authentic. I've kind of gone back to the spirituality I had when I was a kid, but it's more complex than it was then, because I know a lot more and have been through a lot more!

• Upvote 3