Lizzy

Thoughts on ASMR

10 posts in this topic

I have come across some cool ASMR videos on youtube. ASMR stands for "autonomous sensory meridian response" which is basically the tingles or chills you get when you feel really relaxed and someone I combing your hair or something. To me it feels just like getting a reiki healing or something healing like that.

A lot of the people who watch these videos watch them to fall asleep if they have insomnia. I just find them really relaxing and high vibrational feeling. It's like listening nature sounds, but better in my opinion. What do you guys think? Is watching this stuff almost like meditating? 

• Upvote 4

I looove ASMR, and I love when someone brings it up. My brother introduced it to me years ago and I use it quite often (almost every night since) an hour or so before going to bed. It certainly sets the mood for calm, and relaxation, and a feeling of being attended to as the videos are usually focused on interacting, or speaking directly to the viewer. It can have a meditative effect on the listener, especially if its a conscious intention that the audios be used to supplement clearing of the mind, and flowing inner peace, and cleansing. Things like inaudible whispering, tapping sounds, or just about anything that doesn't involve speech, or other logic-stimulating material can be useful if you find that kind of stuff distracting when meditating.

There are so many great content creators in this genre, it's so easy to find many videos suited to your own personal tastes, and I think it fits right into what we're all about here on this forum.

Really great topic!

• Upvote 1

I stumbled onto this thread at 2 am. Can't sleep. I had never heard of ASMR but really like this. I like the sensations it gives in the body.

Interestingly, I came to the forum to find an answer to what is a terrifying sound about 8 minutes into an Ask Teal video titled "Self Love - The Great Shortcut to Enlightenment". This is the first forum I've ever joined and this was the 2nd thread I entered. The exact opposite of what I came here for - very pleasant sounds.

• Upvote 2

@Lizzy: thanks for sharing, thats new to me but it sounds really wonderful! ill sure give it a try tonight before sleeping!

@Stephanie: maybe the most self-loving thing for you was to find the opposite ;) so something nice was what you truly wanted...

• Upvote 2

Yeah I love asmr, been using it regularly for years. Recently my earphones got messed up so I've had to take a break and it's actually been really nice to just kind of hang out with my imagination and a blank canvas. ASMR is such a sedative, for better or worse. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, boxofrain said:

Yeah I love asmr, been using it regularly for years. Recently my earphones got messed up so I've had to take a break and it's actually been really nice to just kind of hang out with my imagination and a blank canvas. ASMR is such a sedative, for better or worse. 

That's actually a good point. Maybe I'll switch off the ASMR tonight, and use that time to meditate, and get even quieter within myself. :ph34r: [10/10 reps tho :S]

• Upvote 1

Omg im so excited. Ive been watching asmr for like 3 years. I think theres a connection between the tingles and being in a state of allowing. Ive seen people from the asmr community also commenting on teals videos and abraham hicks videos and it makes me glad to see im not the only person that connects/enjoys thr two. 

• Upvote 2

I like ASMR; there are some videos that incorporate spirituality, and I love that. It's not quite like meditation, but it's healthy and elevating.

On 12-6-2016 at 10:47 PM, Bjork said:

Omg im so excited. Ive been watching asmr for like 3 years. I think theres a connection between the tingles and being in a state of allowing. Ive seen people from the asmr community also commenting on teals videos and abraham hicks videos and it makes me glad to see im not the only person that connects/enjoys thr two. 

@Bjork
Dear Bjork,

What you said about ASMR, in your opinion, if we get the tingling sesation, it is a state of allowing.... I am so glad to see you posting this, because I have been thinking for a while about the connection between ASMR and spirituality/energy but could not find any answer to this on the internet. And by my own gut feeling, the only thing that came to me is that it is a state of allowing! Exactly as you put it. So nice to see recognition of my feeling. :) 

Edited by Katja
  • Upvote 3

Did not notice this thread before :o
I really like ASMR and was using it to relax even before i started my daily meditation.
I would agree it is a state of allowing but also it is a state of deep relaxation and patience you are taking your time and just experience the moment it is actually very related to meditation i think.
I am pretty sure i was even feeling pressure on the third eye sometimes during ASMR videos.
I think it is so because the quieter and slower the voice of someone the more you are starting to focus on it while at the same time it is relaxing.

Edited by LaucherJunge