Bjork

I finished reading it today

4 posts in this topic

I wonder, should I dedicate a whole day to it? should I tell my family to leave me alone for a day and just lock myself up in my room? I have to admit I'm scared but kind of excited.

• Upvote 1

I think i will dedicate my whole weekend to it. Well not completely i think its better to have a few hours doing usual things also i think it needs a lot of attention so it might be pretty exhausting if you do it for hours or even a whole day.

• Upvote 1

As I'm going through the book what seems to be a reoccurring theme is the concept of not rushing any of the steps. Ultimately the very premise of the shadow work is to bring unconditional presence to disowned aspects of yourself and she makes a point about how time isn't necessarily a concept during your experiences of memories. At the same time maybe it's worth noticing if you're reverting to using coping mechanisms to avoid facing the pain in triggers which is the beggining step of the completion process. 

I'm feeling quite in awe of how she (or mentioned clients) are able to recollect memories and change perspectives from adult to inner child. I hardly have any memories from my childhood and my imagination feels lacking so it seems like I'll never get to a stage of such vivid recollections that could be reconstructed. 

Edited by Open_Eyes_Say_Yes

13 minutes ago, Open_Eyes_Say_Yes said:

As I'm going through the book what seems to be a reoccurring theme is the concept of not rushing any of the steps. Ultimately the very premise of the shadow work is to bring unconditional presence to disowned aspects of yourself and she makes a point about how time isn't necessarily a concept during your experiences of memories. At the same time maybe it's worth noticing if you're reverting to using coping mechanisms to avoid facing the pain in triggers which is the beggining step of the completion process. 

I'm feeling quite in awe of how she (or mentioned clients) are able to recollect memories and change perspectives from adult to inner child. I hardly have any memories from my childhood and my imagination feels lacking so it seems like I'll never get to a stage of such vivid recollections that could be reconstructed. 

Dont forget that it does not have to be visual it can be a smell or sound of the memory, i thought kinda the same way at first but it did work indeed as she says there is no wrong way to do it. 
And i have to say i kinda did rush the process but that was i think due to the fact that the traumas i got to so far are not that strong so i could finish the process in like 10 minutes per memory, not to mention that i did not even start off with the emotion but i went straight into memories that i remembered and still i already see much of an effect in many aspects of life.
I think it does not have to be perfect right away its just a matter of practise and you will get better eventually.
This tool really made me lose all of my fear towards anything i almost hope that pain will come up so i can use it right after to improve even more. 
So i have to say its the most powerful tool that i could have wished for.

Edited by LaucherJunge
  • Upvote 1