Vilde

Want to travel, how? help?

7 posts in this topic

So I have decided that I really desire to travel to teals amsterdam workshop. I really want to and I want to make it work! I cant stand my dreams just being dreams anymore. Point im 17 not a lot of money, no job at the moment, never traveled without my parents- how can I do this anyway?   

What do you do when traveling, what should I know? Suggestion for cheap ways to sleep overnight. I have heard people camping, but Im scared to do that just by myself. Are anyone willing to let me stay in their home? If you have traveled like that a lot what has been your experience? 
If you are traveling to the netherlands to teals workshop too, where are you staying? Anyone willing to team up? :)
Is there an amsterdam tribe-house? 

Any traveling tips in general would be appreciated i have no idea

(((I guess this leads to the topic about work,  how to find job but thats in alignment and joyful- 
I really dont think life is worth a dreadful job occupying it. So i would rather avoid that ??? ))

• Upvote 2

I spent a year traveling around the US after High school but that's been years ago. There used to be companies that would hire you to drive other peoples cars to a given location. Google drive aways. search for jobs in Amsterdam that would provide transportation to and from Amsterdam for work? I've heard of people hitch-hiking and panhandling for tickets in airports and train stations. I've never tried that. I understand that there are youth hostels all over Europe. Have you contacted Teal directly for a work/study position helping at conference in exchange for free admission travel etc?

• Upvote 1

Hey it's me Damon Karadia from Facebook I saw ur post on teal tribe if u read it do u want to I can tell my two friends about this and see if they can help. Cus one lives in Netherlands and the other I think is going to the workshop

19 hours ago, Vilde said:

What do you do when traveling, what should I know? Suggestion for cheap ways to sleep overnight. 

Safety has been always my priority regardless of my budget. Definitely keep your documents and money close! You can look up places called "hostel" - a budget friendly place to rent a bed or a room if you're lucky. But i would not stay there by myself :D

• Upvote 1

I want to go to the Amsterdam workshop too, planning to be able to afford it. Here's some tips for travel from the top of my head and a little Googling around:

Flights

Airlines have complex algorithms which calculate their ticket prices constantly and fares are updated may times per day! The old rule of thumb was around 2 months before but best to just check regularly and buy them when they are lowest. If you check with Google there is a feature to get automatically updates when fares change. Apparently booking at the weekend is cheapest!

When you check the prices, the websites will track you and give you different fares based on what they have already shown you. You don't want them to do this. You want to be able to get the lowest fares when they are available. The solution here is to "browse privately", a browser feature that stops websites storing data about you and tracking you. Sometimes you need them to for example for how you can stay logged in on this website, but for searching air fares you want to be browsing privately. Different browsers and devices have different ways of browsing privately so the best thing to do is probably just to Google: How do I browse privately?

If the most expensive part of the trip (along with the event ticket) is the air fares and if accomodation is quite cheap which I think is possible, then you might consider staying a night or two extra to try to get the most out of the journey as possible? Amsterdam is a great place to get lost in and there are some really nice places nearby that are worth a visit too. My personal favourite is that you can jump on a 30 min train to Utrecht which is like a much quieter non-touristed version of Amsterdam with the most beautiful canal system. I just got back from a trip to Utrecht/Amsterdam actually.

Fares depenant, I am guessing you would be best to go on the Friday, stay over in Amsterdam Friday night, attend the event on Saturday and stay for the rest of the day at least. You could go home on the Sunday but I think those air tickets will be more expensive than if you were to go back Mon/Tues.

Accomodation

Hotels/AirBNB/even hostsels in Amsterdam are really expensive. Close to some London prices if that means anything to you (I am from the UK).

You can camp for pretty cheap. I have never stayed at this campsite but it looks kinda awesome: https://www.campingzeeburg.nl/en
The problem with camping is you need to bring a tent and sleeping bag etc and when flying it might mean having to check in a whole extra bag which can be expensive and one more thing to have to worry about at the airports checking the luggage in and then collecting it on arrival. Zzz. You ideally want to fly with just a hand luggage case. That's plenty for your clothes and essentials etc but not a tent and sleeping bag. If you did want to camp, maybe there are some other options. Like if you could order a really cheap tent and sleeping bag from the internet and have it delivered to the camp in advance of your arrival. You can get a really compact travel pillow to go in your hand luggage. That sounds crazy but probably cheaper than the extra bag! 

November isn't as expensive as summer. You may even find the odd really good deal on a hotel or hostel or something. Take a look on Booking.com and see what you find. Offers come and go, sometimes upto 50% or so.  Staying anywhere in Amsterdam is fine as the Tram is not that expensive (or free if you have an iamsterdam card).

Travel

When you arrive you will need to get a train from Schipol airport to Amsterdam Centraal. If you want to do it you can get on without a ticket and you will almost never be checked. You are supposed to get a ticket from a machine and scan it in on some sensor in the station but the checkpoints don't have any barriers and you can just walk right through and get on the train. I have never seen a conducter even once I'm not convinced they even have them.

If you are getting the tram check if you can get a day ticket or a multiple-day ticket and work out if that would be cheaper for you depending on what your plans are.

Ticket

The prices are given so I guess the best thing to do would be to commit as soon as you can so that you can get one of the early bird tickets as well as then being able to pull the trigger when the cheapest flights you want are good.

I will be back to edit in some prices and write some about things to do etc around next week (busy weekend ahead) :)

Edited by cvs
  • Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, cvs said:

I want to go to the Amsterdam workshop too, planning to be able to afford it. Here's some tips for travel from the top of my head and a little Googling around:

Flights

Airlines have complex algorithms which calculate their ticket prices constantly and fares are updated may times per day! The old rule of thumb was around 2 months before bu best to just check regularly and buy them when they are lowest. If you are check with Google then there is a feature to get automatically updates when fares change. Apparently booking at the weekend is cheapest!

When you check the prices, the websites will track you and give you different fares based on what they have already shown you. You don't want them to do this. You want to be able to get the lowest fares when they are available. The solution here is to "browse privately", a browser feature that stops websites storing data about you and tracking you. Sometimes you need them to for example for how you can stay logged in on this website, but for searching air fares you want to be browsing privately. Different browsers and devices have different ways of browsing privately so the best thing to do is probably just to Google: How do I browse privately?

If the most expensive part of the trip (along with the event ticket) is the air fares and if accomodation is quite cheap which I think is possible, then you might consider staying a night or two extra to try to get the most out of the journey as possible? Amsterdam is a great place to get lost in and there are some really nice places nearby that are worth a visit too. My personal favourite is that you can jump on a 30 min train to Utrecht which is like a much quieter non-touristed version of Amsterdam with the most beautiful canal system. I just got back from a trip to Utrecht/Amsterdam actually.

Fares depenant, I am guessing you would be best to go on the Friday, stay over in Amsterdam Friday night, attend the event on Saturday and stay for the rest of the day at least. You could go home on the Sunday but I think those air tickets will be more expensive than if you were to go back Mon/Tues.

Accomodation

Hotels/AirBNB/even hostsels in Amsterdam are really expensive. Close to some London prices if that means anything to you (I am from the UK).

You can camp for pretty cheap. I have never stayed at this campsite but it looks kinda awesome: https://www.campingzeeburg.nl/en
The problem with camping is you need to bring a tent and sleeping bag etc and when flying it might mean having to check in a whole extra bag which can be expensive and one more thing to have to worry about at the airports checking the luggage in and then collecting it on arrival. Zzz. You ideally want to fly with just a hand luggage case. That's plenty for your clothes and essentials etc but not a tent and sleeping bag. If you did want to camp, maybe there are some other options. Like if you could order a really cheap tent and sleeping bag from the internet and have it delivered to the camp in advance of your arrival. You can get a really compact travel pillow to go in your hand luggage. That sounds crazy but probably cheaper than the extra bag! 

November isn't as expensive as summer. You may even find the odd really good deal on a hotel or hostel or something. Take a look on Booking.com and see what you find. Offers come and go, sometimes upto 50% or so.  Staying anywhere in Amsterdam is fine as the Tram is not that expensive (or free if you have an iamsterdam card).

Travel

When you arrive you will need to get a train from Schipol airport to Amsterdam Centraal. If you want to do it you can get on without a ticket and you will almost never be checked. You are supposed to get a ticket from a machine and scan it in on some sensor in the station but the checkpoints don't have any barriers and you can just walk right through and get on the train. I have never seen a conducter even once I'm not convinced they even have them.

If you are getting the tram check if you can get a day ticket or a multiple-day ticket and work out if that would be cheaper for you depending on what your plans are.

Ticket

The prices are given so I guess the best thing to do would be to commit as soon as you can so that you can get one of the early bird tickets as well as then being able to pull the trigger when the cheapest flights you want are good.

I will be back to edit in some prices and write some about things to do etc around next week (busy weekend ahead) :)

This is amazing thanks so much for sharing !

• Upvote 1