Lucie

Help : stuck in powerlessness

9 posts in this topic

I have a problem : I am stuck in powerlessness and apathy. I don't know how to change my thoughts, I feel like it's impossible. Everytime I try it is like another failure. I've watched the ask Teal videos on apathy, emptiness and hopelessness several times, but positive focus is like impossible for me, or just a little. Visualization takes me a lot of effort and yet I come up with so little or even no feeling signatures. I try to practice healing the emotional body but no sensation or image is popping up when I ask the questions.

What could I do to shake myself up from this place ?

• Upvote 1

Hi Lucie,

maybe there is a really good reason for you to not feel a thing and feeling powerless. have you tried pinpointing what might have led to that state you are in? and saying to yourself, ok that happened, ok i acknowledge thats how i feel now...? maybe there is a circumstance in which you dont feel safe and that needs some adjustment too, some new decisions?

is it possible that you are putting yourself under pressure about wanting to feel and feel empowered? if so, take a break, allow yourself a rest, take a nap as long as you want to and feel you can, apathy can sometimes be a sign of exhaustion too.

are you in a state where you feel capable of discerning whether an action or circumstance feels like relief or not? if yes, try some things out like taking a walk to a near river or lake, and focus on that which catches your eye that feels like relief to look upon, or circulate new energy by going some places you have never been to, a museum perhaps... and just observe what these experiences do with your thoughts.

• Upvote 2

Lucie, I believe many of us have gone through what you are experiencing right now. Feeling as if we are failing at whatever it is we are trying to achieve because the end result does not look like what we mapped out in our mind it should look like. Try letting go of your ideas of how it will or should happen and what it will look like. I find the more I chase the thoughts of what went wrong around in my head the more thoughts I manifest on what is wrong and I spiral down into an abyss. I take a deep breath, tell the little ego monster in my head it is okay to relax I got  this imagine leading him/her into a safe quiet place in your mind and shut the door.  

Remember you have not ever 'failed' at anything you try you have just found a new way it does not work for you and that is great too because now you know you don't have to try that again.

I might suggest perhaps focusing on simple meditation sitting quietly focusing on your breathing and just let the thoughts come and go, don't try and make them go away and don't let them engage your mind and lead you down another rabbit hole. Observe them like you are observing traffic go by in a coffee shop window, each thought appears and then passes out of your sight. Just observe don't let your mind tell you stories about every thought that comes by. Maybe you are getting sensations, images, sounds or even smells but your mind is too focused on following your dominant ego based thoughts to recognize them. Also if you have Teals book on Shadow Work there are so many great easy self love exercises to practice on yourself that would bring positive energy into your life.

Breath in peace and healing.

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎11 at 4:12 PM, Lucie said:

I am stuck in powerlessness and apathy

Here is the thing. You are aware of how you feel believe it or not. You would not be able to sense these things if you where not able to feel at all.
You CAN feel powerlessness and apathy. Meaning that those sensations and feelings are something you can focus on since they seem to be the most prominent within you already as far as I understood it.

It is awesome that you can feel these things, they are things you can apply integration by simply focusing on them and tell yourself that it is ok to feel it. To then when you have felt it throughout your body allowing it fully to ask: when was the first time I felt this?
Whatever sensations come up might seem non-translatable or challenging to understand but that is ok, felt perception can be difficult for the mind to translate but it does not mean that its not valid...because it is otherwise it would not be there to begin with.

Everything is valid because it exists. Even if you don't perceive anything after asking when was the first time...that is valid too.  

• Upvote 3

I completely agree.

I found out these days that it is the stories that my mind keeps telling about the sensations that make it worse.

Although, I come up with no image or else when I ask myself this question, and so I only follow the feeling process and I feel like it works even if it takes time to process the emotions.

• Upvote 1

@Lucie The mind tend to do that sometimes...for me too. What have helped  me is to work with the mind to allow that as well. To let those sensations spread, the mind is a feeling thing too and practicing observing the sensations in your mind might give you a sense of calm. To be outside the "story stress" if you will instead of being in it.

You have chosen a very healthy path and I feel glad that it works for you :) 

Lucie , 

I very much empathize with this emotion and am too finding my self in a state of Apathy and powerless. However, in my own personal circumstances I understand why I feel this way and may just need to sit with it for a bit and experience it.  The thing I find with these two feeling is that Apathy is usually a result of Powerlessness. What I mean is Powerlessness is an emotion and apathy is sometimes a coping mechanisms we develope to survive this emotion.  (Of course this is all just reflective of my own experience) I find apathy comes into to play when we experience a state of suffering for a extended amount of time. It's kind of like "well it looks like I am in this intense emotional state and if its not going to to change then I need to adapt and protect what I can While I endure" so if the place of Powerless is a trigger for you and it puts you in an extrem state of stress (fear,unsafe,frustration, shame,) ECT. Then the mind,body, and spirt will try and compensate in the complete opposite way and that would be to shut down and harden all emotional states to protect its self. So, it's a form of self love but not always in the most positive way and definitely not always a state that is intentional.  It is survival mode for sure, in a positive way sometimes it cocoons you so that you can heal and not accept more pain, damage, disappointment ECT so in that sense it can serve a purpose. However, in others cases it can block you when you are ready to open up and experience the positives in life as well. I do find that these emotions tend to come into play when we actually have a disconnect or disassociation with Self, meaning we aren't aware of what we need, what we want, what we are capable of......who we are. Could be anyhthing , I can't really speak into your experiences but I find that we tend to be along for the ride and feel powerless when we are just in a state of observation instead of control.  So, as many people above stated , perhaps a change of perspective and don't look at it as good or bad thing but try to understand why self felt like it was a necessary thing. Then you will come to a state of understanding. You intention is to no longer feel this way and the fact that you have already decided that has already started the process of change. I hope this will help in just offering a different perspective . I wish you the best :)

thoughts are like butterflies. don't kill your creations. let them be

my fav new meditation. all you do is sit comfy and let your head loose. it will start moving side to side in a rhythm: