CanadianGirl1991

Does a GOOD tasting vegan cheese exist?

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

i have yet to come across a good tasting vegan cheese that has a cheesy flavour and cheesy texture. 

I have tried Daiya products which I don't like at all. 

I have also tried earth island. I found it tasted similar to daiya and had that same 'plasticky weird sticks in your mouth' texture when heated. 

so if you know of any delicious cheese brands/products that would be lovely! 

Side note: I have also heard that nutritional yeast can be added to foods to give it a cheesy flavour? Is this true? Is it good? 

And if you have your own recipes for a vegan cheese please share :)

Hahaha this is actually a good question, I can relate to this, I use mozeralla vegan cheese from Holland and Barret in the UK, its alright but when I'm making pizzas for instance its not exactly cheesy, it doesn't say run off the pizza like an awesome pizza would you know hhaha, but dairy stuff I don't eat my body cant take it, anyways, there is also the teal tribe kitchen group on facebook and I'm 100% sure someone will answer there along on this website, so yeah I would like to know the answer to your question to haha

• Upvote 1

Hahaha yay I'm glad I'm not the only one this can relate to

Oh wow thanks, I didn't know that group existed. I will ask on there and report back!

i haven't tried a mozzeralla type of vegan cheese yet. I'll give it a try

• Upvote 1

Omg, i don't even know what's worse to eat conventional  cheese or to eat overly processed something that has a taste of a cheese :D

If i want/need cheese flavor i go for a real organic cheese from pasture raised cows. I also found raw cheese which is even better.

Yes, nutritional yeast has some of that cheese flavor. But more on a savory side. It has a little bit of a chicken flavor to me, lol. It tastes great with pasta, on tomato sandwiches and mashed potatoes! When using for pasta add garlic, salt/pepper  and basil! Sometimes i sprinkle it on my steamed broccoli.

There is recipes on the web for cashew cheese. But you definitely need a good blender for that.

• Upvote 2

@Garnet since I'm part Italian, I eat a lot of pasta, so I will def try nutritional yeast on it! And mmmm cashew cheese. I'll give it a try

@Bjork I said no daiya!! Hahaha. But jk, I'll make an exception :) I have tried the daiya shredded marble cheese which was pretty good, so I will try the mozzarella next. Love quesadillas. 

@sugarplum I will find that cheese!

• Upvote 1

On 2016-08-20 at 9:04 PM, Bjork said:

Daiya_Shreds-US_3D_Mozza_500x500.jpg 

i use it to make quesadillas, it's my fav. maybe i'll go buy some right now lol

Mmmm Daiya Cheese =) you're right it sure can be good on some recipes, I found it as a good addition to pasta with other herbs and stuff thought I haven't tried on quesadillas yet. A brand I keep hearing about is Chao Cheese? something like that, heard it tastes exactly like cheese.

Speaking of quesadillas I made a pizzadilla tonight using hot for food's nacho cheese sauce as dip (substituted the oil for 1 small avocado) it was pretty good. I was so proud of making it I took a pic lol I put my favorite toppings (stir fried extra firm tofu,red onions, mushrooms, pineapple and olives)

20160822_193611.jpg

On August 22, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Just Being said:

Mmmm Daiya Cheese =) you're right it sure can be good on some recipes, I found it as a good addition to pasta with other herbs and stuff thought I haven't tried on quesadillas yet. A brand I keep hearing about is Chao Cheese? something like that, heard it tastes exactly like cheese.

Speaking of quesadillas I made a pizzadilla tonight using hot for food's nacho cheese sauce as dip (substituted the oil for 1 small avocado) it was pretty good. I was so proud of making it I took a pic lol I put my favorite toppings (stir fried extra firm tofu,red onions, mushrooms, pineapple and olives)

20160822_193611.jpg

Thanks for the cheese recommendation!

that pizzadilla looks bomb! :)

15 minutes ago, CanadianGirl1991 said:

Thanks for the cheese recommendation!

that pizzadilla looks bomb! :)

Hey thanks! ^^ it was a treat. Are you planning to do any cheesetacular recipes? I wonder if theres a forum topic of posting recipes we make. I would love to see what you guys do with your vegan cheese too.